Women’s Soccer Rebounds After Loss, Wins Four Straight

After a loss in its opening game, Fordham’s squad has recovered fiercely. David Meyers/The Ram

By Drew Casey

After losing their season opener, the Fordham women’s soccer team has not missed a beat. The Rams (4-1-0) have won their last four matches and currently find themselves ranked ninth in the NSCAA Mid-Atlantic rankings. The regional ranking is the first such recognition for the team since 2006.

Part of this recognition can be credited to first-year head coach Jessica Clinton. Clinton, who took over earlier this calendar year, has enjoyed every moment at Rose Hill and has expressed excitement about this season. She is very proud of her team so far, but stressed that the team will need to continue its hard work in order to achieve success.

“The overall team camaraderie has been outstanding,” said Clinton. “This is a group of players that want to play for each other.  They want the same thing and that is an important factor to why we have been successful. They have done everything the staff has asked of them plus more.”

The Rams opened the 2014 campaign back on Aug. 22 in Ypsilanti, Michigan, against a solid Eastern Michigan Eagles team. They only managed two shots on goal in the Midwest contest, and an Eagle goal in each half paced Eastern Michigan to a 2-0 victory.

Just two days later, the team squared off with Manhattan College to open Jack Coffey Field for the 2014 season. Not only was this the home opener, but this was also the first edition of the Battle of the Bronx of the academic year. One of the team’s preseason goals was to win this game in front of their home crowd, and they did just that, taking the match 2-1. Freshman midfielder Natalie Sims and senior midfielder Jessica Widmann connected for both Ram goals, scoring one and assisting on the other respectively.

Fresh off the victory, the team remained home for a few days before hosting Vermont on Aug. 29. In a tight defensive game, senior Kate McDonnell broke the scoreless deadlock in the 85th minute. Goalkeepers Megan Fitzgerald and Ally White combined for the shutout.

The team kept at it on Sunday, Aug. 31 and won more comfortably, defeating Maine 2-0. Nicole Natale netted her first goal of the season in the 20th minute before McDonnell scored her second of the season early in the second half. White again earned the shutout for the Rams, but this one was a 90 minute effort for the Diablo, California, native.

Most recently, the team traveled to LIU Brooklyn for a Friday evening matchup. After trailing 1-0 at the half, the Rams roared back out of the break. Junior Ivana Lahcanski found the back of the net in the 49th minute to tie the game at one before Widmann added her second game winning goal of the season in the 80th minute.

The team will attempt to extend its winning streak to five, when they visit Iona College on Friday afternoon. The Rams return home Sunday for a noon kickoff with The Citadel.

As one would expect, the team has very high expectations for the season. This is only the beginning in their eyes.

“Success is defined for us, not in the win column, but by playing a style and brand of soccer that we are proud of: working hard and walking off the field playing for each other,” said Clinton. “If we do the little things, pay attention to details, we will put ourselves in a position to win.”

__________

Drew Casey is a Staff Writer for The Fordham Ram