Who’s That Kid? Tara Minogue, GSB ’15

Minogue played Liliane LaFleur in “Nine” with Mimes and Mummers. (Courtesy of Tara Minogue)

By Richard Bordelon

Not all high school students can say they have sung the National Anthem center ice before a National Hockey League (NHL) game. But for four years before college, that was an average day in the life of Tara Minogue, GSB ’15.

Minogue, a Buffalo, New York native, was the regular anthem singer for the Buffalo Sabres throughout her high school tenure. She also performed for the Bills. After high school, however, she decided that it was time to take her 1000-watt voice downstate.

Already an accomplished singer in her own right, Minogue knew she wanted to be in the performance industry. New York seemed like the most logical place to go.

“I wanted to be in New York,” she said.  “I just knew that’s where I wanted to be.”

Minogue’s family connections, however, pushed her to spend her college life at Rose Hill. “My grandpa grew up in the Bronx, he went to Fordham Prep and then he went to Fordham,” Minogue explained. “So it was his dream for one of his grandkids to go to Fordham — he kind of pushed it on me. But when I visited, I just fell in love with it. It was one of those things where it just clicked and I knew I wanted to be here.”

Known for her signature alto belt, Minogue has appeared on the Fordham stage a number of times since her freshman year, from Urinetown to Next to Normal to Nine and now the upcoming production of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. In both the Mimes and Mummers and Fordham Experimental Theater, she has played a variety of roles, including one of her all-time favorites: Natalie, in Next to Normal.

“That is my favorite show that I have ever been in,” Minogue explained with a smile. “Playing Natalie was the first time that I had ever played a role my age. Usually I tend to get cast as the obnoxious, older, occasionally black diva,” she said with a chuckle, “which I am totally cool with; those roles are a blast.”

Her other favorite role is Muzzy in Thoroughly Modern Millie, a diva in her own right. “I love playing the diva and doing those big, belty showstopper songs and just acting like a fool on stage,” Minogue said. “Occasionally I get to do accents and they’re just fun.”

Minogue has also pursued the many performing opportunities in Manhattan that come from going to school in New York. She works at the world-famous Ellen’s Stardust Diner in Times Square, singing, performing and waitressing. In addition, she has appeared in a few concerts at 54 Below, a Broadway nightclub, where she performs with stars of that year’s significant plays and musicals.

“I’m so thankful, but I’m still confused,” Minogue said of performing at 54 Below. “It’s a blast.”

She has also used her talents to bring smiles to the community. For three years, she has sung for the retired Jesuit priests in Murray-Weigel, right off-campus.

“They love Broadway,” she said with a grin, “so we come in and sing all their favorite Broadway songs.”

After she graduates in May with a business degree in marketing, Minogue hopes to keep singing and living her performing dream.

“Once I graduate, I am going to spend some time in the city and see what I can do as a singer/actress,” she explained.

Minogue, however, has a practical undertanding of the performing industry. “I’m gonna give myself a set amount of time to see if it takes me somewhere,” she said. “I’ll kick myself if I don’t try the singing/acting route first.”

Constantly taking acting, voice and dance classes to improve her already tremendous talent, she keeps auditioning, hoping to one day secure one of those prized Broadway contracts.  And who knows? Maybe we will see her name above a marquee very soon.

__________

Richard Bordelon is the Opinion Editor for The Fordham Ram.