Who’s That Kid? |It’s Kevin Curran, FCRH ’15

By Laura Sanicola

While most Fordham students spent this summer toiling away at minimum wage jobs or unpaid internships, one rising senior found himself over 10,000 miles from home, taking advantage of what he describes as “the athletic opportunity of a lifetime.” Kevin Peter Curran, FCRH ’15, spent three months training with and playing on the Brisbane rugby team of the Queensland Red Heavies in the Queensland Premiership of Australia.

A native of Boston, Kevin is no stranger to the world of competitive rugby. He got his start playing on the Xavieran Brothers high school team in Westwood, Massachusetts and is a former captain of the Fordham Men’s Rugby Team, where he played as a fullback. Kevin has also played for the Boston Irish, a team in the East Coast Premiership.

“The coach who started our rugby team in high school came into the wrestling room of my high school when I was a freshman and recruited as many wrestlers as he could,” said Kevin. “He knew we were in good shape and would immediately know how to tackle and ruck effectively.” Kevin also attributes his initial love of the game to his Irish heritage. The sport has European origins dating back to early 19th century versions of football.

“My all-time favorite rugby player is Brian O’Driscoll, who played for Ireland, but I base my game more off of Gio Aplon and Shane Williams, who are South African and Welsh, respectively.”

Having played international rugby, Kevin found noticeable differences between playing in different premierships.

“I’d have to admit that I prefer being part of an Australian team,” Kevin said. “Australian premierships are generally more competitive, and the teams are better overall.”

Kevin was awarded free housing through the premiership as a benefit of spending the summer in Australia. However, he received no stipend or payment as an athlete of the Brisbane team.

After his arrival in Australia in early June, Kevin experienced life as a tourist. His travels extended from Brisbane to Sydney, where he visited historic sites such as the Sydney opera house, the Circular Quay and the Royal Gardens.

The highlight of his summer, he says, was strictly rugby-related. “I was able to play with and learn from so many top notch rugby players,” said Kevin. “I could not have asked for a better experience.”

Though rugby is a significant part of his life, Kevin is heavily involved off the field. By May, Kevin will have graduated with degrees in international political economy and English. He currently works as an unpaid intern at the Dynamic Strategy Resource Group in Harlem, New York, where he writes press releases and news briefs. “I could potentially see myself working here after graduation,” Kevin said. “That is, if playing rugby isn’t an option.”

Though Kevin’s plans for next year are currently uncertain, he can envision a future that will land him back in Australia. “If I am able to make it as a professional athlete, there’s no doubt in my mind that I will choose it over anything else,” he said.

__________

Laura Sanicola is the Assistant News Editor for The Fordham Ram.