Movie Review | Novel Becomes Thrilling Movie

Rosamund Pike’s portrayal of Amy Dunne is shockingly similar to the novel. (Evan Agostini/AP)

Rosamund Pike’s portrayal of Amy Dunne is shockingly similar to the novel. Evan Agostini/AP

By Marlessa Stivala
_____________________________________________
“When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.” Thus begins Gillian Flynn’s critically-acclaimed novel, Gone Girl, that has been turned into the highly anticipated, recently released thriller. Directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network) — arguably one of the most-acclaimed Hollywood directors working today — the film was receiving Oscar buzz even months before its release. As someone who read and was greatly disturbed by the novel (in the best, most thought-provoking way possible), I was happy to learn that author Gillian Flynn would also be writing the screenplay — always a good sign for book-to-film adaptations. The final result is a dark, psychological film that stays true to the novel’s plot, characters and underlying themes, while also taking advantage of the film medium to make the plot all the more haunting.
The film follows the deeper dynamics of long-term relationships as well as human nature itself, through the story of an attractive married couple Nick (Ben Affleck, Argo) and Amy Dunne (Rosamund Pike, Pride & Prejudice) as its protagonists. The opening of the film, just like in the novel, initially presents tainted, limited impressions of both Nick and Amy. Nick is uncaring, bitingly sarcastic and perhaps too calm, while Amy is a type A planner who is perhaps too demanding.
It does not take long for the film to establish the driving force in this film: Nick returns home one day to find Amy missing. As the investigation to find Amy begins, Nick finds himself as the prime suspect in his own wife’s abduction. Popular opinion is swayed against him due to clues that seem to point directly to Nick. The mystery surrounding Amy’s disappearance comes to a shocking conclusion. I will not spoil it for anyone who has not read the book or seen the moive.
As with any book-to-film adaptation, there are certain parts of the plot and aspects of the characters from the novel that are left out of the film. As the novel alternates between Nick’s perspective and Amy’s diary, it is easy to see why it is impossible to be in their heads in an on-screen, flowing narrative. At the same time, the film does the novel justice and does not disappoint during its most critical, shocking moments. While Affleck has recently garnered more acclaim for his directing skills than acting abilities, he delivers a powerful performance worthy of recognition (and proof that he is indeed a solid choice to play the new Batman). Rosamund Pike, is brilliant as Amy and deserves all the praise she receives. This role will surely further her career going forward.
In a world where books-to-films miss the mark more often than not, Gone Girl proves that such things can indeed be done well in the right hands.
__________

Marlessa Stivala is a Staff Writer for The Fordham Ram.