Fall Fashion Breezes Through Fordham’s Campus

By Jungsuh Kim

They say that fall is the quintessential weather for fashion, with good reason. When else can you show off your killer fashion sense with multilayered dimensions? There is a reason why fashion week starts in September.

This fall, many fashion trends have graced (and re-graced) New York and, specifically, Fordham’s campus. Walking back from class, I always see some fabulous outfits. Who knew Fordham was a fashionable school?

On campus, people are always dressing in style, whether it is to grab coffee with a group of friends or to look professional for class.

“I think most students’ styles at Fordham are preppy. I see a lot of people wearing Vineyard Vines and J. Crew,” said Hunter Wildrick, FCRH ’17.

Fordham students do love the classic prep style. Many students are seen wearing old-school polos and khakis during warmer months, and plaid shirts and boots during the colder ones. Guys and girls both sport the preppy look by wearing equestrian-inspired looks. When asked about Fordham guys’ style, Anthony Ali, FCRH ’17, said, “I’m not entirely sure about Fordham in general, but guys tend to wear vests, khakis and chucka (suede) boots.”

Samuel Joseph/The Ram
Samuel Joseph/The Ram

Leather has made yet another return to this year’s trends. Jackets, leggings and even crop tops made out of leather are looking to be a trend this fall. My personal favorite is the use of leather on the sides of leggings; it still incorporates the trend yet in a more subtle and understated way. Leather jackets are the perfect accessory to keep you warm without making your outfit look too bulky. They are awesome to layer over a cute crop top or beaded tank for a night out. In addition to jackets, guys can also sport this trend by rocking a sleek leather belt to give their pants an added edge.

Another trend making a return is the military jacket. I have seen so many versions of this all across campus. These jackets do not necessarily have to be an army green color; a lot of brands have started making them in burgundy and dark grey as well. The versatility of this jacket makes it a go-to for both guys and girls. The guy’s military jacket is much more structured, while the girl’s still has the same shape with softer details, like some vintage-inspired buttons. My favorite style of this type of jacket is the one with the adjustable drawstring. It helps cinch your waist so you do not get lost in the bulkiness of the jacket. A must-have staple for chilly days, the military jacket is something that will definitely stick around.

Samuel Joseph/The Ram
Samuel Joseph/The Ram

Yet another classic outwear piece is the vest. Perfect for layering over cool flannels, vests can add a touch of color to an otherwise ordinary outfit. Whether you rock the classic puffer vest, a faux fur glam one or even a menswear-inspired one—the important thing is that they are sure to keep you nice and warm. Girls can rock this trend with some cute skinny jeans and a scarf, while guys can throw on a pair of suede Sperry’s. Looking for some vest-appropriate activities? Go pick out pumpkins in a patch, visit a haunted house or grab some coffee with friends!

One of the more common trends I see at Fordham is riding boots. These boots can range anywhere from dark brown to black and come in many different lengths. Boots are a great way to transition some of your more summery clothes into fall appropriate weather. Riding boots can significantly dress down a fancier dress, giving it that extra edge that we all want to emulate once autumn rolls around. Black riding roots can turn an all-black outfit from too dark to just the right amount of grunge. Think only girls can pull off this trend? Well, think again! Guys can also rock some shorter boots, whenever it becomes too cool to wear those beloved Sperry’s.

Ah, plaid. The pattern that defines all things fall. Whether you’re into the classic oxford shirts or love the idea of schoolgirl-inspired pleated skirts, plaid is the ultimate trendy print for the autumn months. There is just something about the pattern that makes us instantly crave some pumpkin spice lattes or freshly picked apples. Also, who doesn’t love to steal their boyfriends’ flannels? The flannels in the men’s section are often thicker, longer and overall have a baggier fit, making them more comfortable to lounge around in.

Samuel Joseph/The Ram
Samuel Joseph/The Ram

Leggings, the thing people either love or hate. These are basic necessities people need to stay comfy and cute when the weather starts to get a bit chilly. Leggings come in so many different patterns, shapes, sizes and fabrics; the possibilities are endless! Whether you are more of an edgy girl who rocks black liquid leggings or just someone who likes to keep warm with sweater leggings, it is obvious that we all cannot seem to get enough of this trend. Leggings have been around for decades, and do not seem like they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Many of these trends are perfect to accommodate crisp fall weather and are ways to get around the sweatshirt and sweatpants routine. There are a ton of great fashionable outfits so using the cold as an excuse is no longer valid.