Fordham Advances to Second Round of FCS Playoffs, Defeats Sacred Heart, 44-22

The Rams defense made several crucial stops in the second half to stop the Pioneer offense and hold on to the lead. (Photo by Michael Rezin/The Ram )

The Rams defeated the Pioneers for their 14th consecutive home victory. (Photo by Michael Rezin/The Ram )

By Max Prinz

For the second consecutive year, Fordham defeated the Sacred Heart Pioneers in the first round of the FCS Playoffs.

The Rams topped the Pioneers, 44-22 in this year’s contest and advance to play the University of New Hampshire in the second round next week.

“We held [Sacred Heart] down and had to fight for every inch,” head coach Joe Moorhead said after the game. “They made us earn it.”

The Rams used quick starts to at the beginning of the first and second halves to propel themselves to a victory. Fordham got out to a 14-point lead in the first five minutes of the first quarter and scored 10 unanswered points after the halftime break. The offense sputtered at times against a strong Pioneer defense, but those starts kept the Rams in control of the game throughout.

“We talk all the time about starting fast and finishing strong,” Moorhead said. “We sputtered a bit and got it going again, but that’s in concert with what they do defensively. A lot of plays you’re going to get zeros or ones or negatives, but, at the same time, some of the gambles they take are going to give you an opportunity to make some big plays.

The Rams’ quick-strike, big-play ability was another key for the offense, which had scoring plays of 26, 50 and 97 yards.

Senior quarterback Mike Nebrich was far from perfect, throwing a pair of interceptions, but his 423 passing yards and 4 touchdowns played a huge role in the Rams’ win. His strong play was certainly a good sign after a difficult, injury-filled month.

“It was important for me from a mental standpoint,” Nebrich said. “This is the best I’ve felt coming out of a game in a while.”

Another Fordham star was senior defensive back Ian Williams who racked up seven tackles, five pass breakups and a pair of interceptions.

“It was a battle out there today and that’s what we come out for,” Williams said. “To come out victorious is a great feeling.”

Nebrich echoed Williams’ feelings, calling the win satisfying.

“It was a very a satisfying win for us,” Nebrich said. “We’ve got a lot of stuff to clean up for New Hampshire, but we’ll be ready.”

Max Prinz is the Sports Editor for the Fordham Ram