Golden Globes in Review: Achievement, Snubs, Controversy and Humor

Michael Keaton stars in Birdman, an Oscar frontrunner following the Golden Globes. Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP

By Marlessa Stivala

On Jan. 11, the worlds of film and television came together for the Oscars’ more relaxed cousin, the 72nd Annual Golden Globes. Here is a look back at some of the show’s most memorable and controversial moments.
The Hosts:
This year marked the third and final year real-life best friends Tina Fey (“30 Rock”) and Amy Poehler (“Parks and Recreation”) served together as hosts.

While Fey and Poehler consistently display wonderful comedic chemistry when working together, was the third time really the charm for them hosting the Golden Globes? Well, this year certainly appears to be their most controversial.
North Korea’s displeasure over the recent satirical film The Interview and the accusations against Bill Cosby have undoubtedly been two of the most talked-about stories in the media, and Poehler and Fey did not shy away from targeting either for comedic purposes.

The duo’s opening remarks included Cosby impressions that were interpreted as both humorous and insensitive due to the severity of the accusations.
Perhaps even more controversial was the reccurring bit at this year’s Globes in which Fey and Poehler joined in comedian Margaret Cho’s satirical portrayal of a North Korean. Following accusations that Cho’s portrayal was racist, Cho responded on Twitter: “I’m of mixed North/South Korean descent — you imprison, starve and brainwash my people you get made fun of by me #hatersgonhate #FreeSpeech.”

Something I particularly enjoy about Fey and Poehler hosting together is the way they use humor to point out how Hollywood still tends to put limitations on female talent. For instance, Poehler quipped that the film Boyhood “proves that there are still great roles for women over 40 as long as you get hired when you’re under 40.”

On a different note, it was also good to see the hosts (who both have a great deal of experience working in television anyway) acknowledging the greater prestige of television shows nowadays by chanting: “When we say movies, you say awesome! When we say TV, you say better!”
The Winners:
In the world of film, there were few-to-no surprises in terms of the winners. The critically-acclaimed Boyhood (which was filmed over the course of 12 years, allowing the cast and crew to literally grow up onscreen) unsurprisingly took home awards for key categories like Best Director (Richard Linklater, Boyhood) and Best Motion Picture, Drama. Birdman, The Theory of Everything and The Grand Budapest Hotel were a few of the other winners of the night, with all three having clear shots at the upcoming Oscars. Perhaps one of the most surprising film wins was How to Train Your Dragon 2 taking Best Animated Feature instead of The Lego Movie (although this might have been foreseeable, since the latter is not even nominated for an Oscar).

As for television, the categories featured several first-time, well-earned wins. Gina Rodriguez won for Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical Comedy for “Jane the Virgin,” marking a historic first win for the CW Network. Additionally, the supremely talented Kevin Spacey won his first Golden Globe as “House of Cards’” enigmatic, ruthless Frank Underwood while Showtime’s new series “The Affair” won for Best TV Series, Drama and Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama (Ruth Wilson).

Something particularly noteworthy about this year’s acceptance speeches was that the primary focus seemed to be on social justice issues. Gina Rodriguez’s speech was heavily focused on Latino representation, saying the award “represents a culture that wants to see themselves as heroes.” Jeffrey Tambor, who won for his acting in “Transparent,” dedicated his performance and award to the transgender community. In one of the most memorable speeches of the night, George Clooney, who won the Cecil B. Demille award, commented on the recent wave of support for free speech after 12 people were killed in the satirical Parisian newspaper Charlie Hebdo: “There were millions of people that marched not just in Paris but around the world… They marched in support of the idea that we will not walk in fear. We won’t do it. Je suis Charlie. Thank you.”

The Fashion:
Finally, it would not be a proper look back at an awards show without briefly reviewing the fashion. Among my favorite best-dressed females were Kate Hudson, Salma Hayek and Katie Cassidy. Hudson wore a form-fitting, white Versace gown, accessorized with small, delicate earrings to complete an elegant look. While I originally was not a fan of her metallic belt, I loved the unique, textured look of Salma’s dress and how regal she looked. Cassidy’s form-fitting black and white gown was perfectly complemented by her side swept hair, her ensemble coming together in a somewhat daring, yet lovely look.

Additionally, I was not a fan of Jennifer Aniston’s dress, but feel obligated to point out how much I loved seeing her put her hair up since she typically wears it lose
Among my least favorite female looks were Sienna Miller, Kerry Washington and Keira Knightley. Miller’s dress seemed a bit too “old-looking” in style, while the dress itself overwhelmed her petite frame. Washington’s bold, shiny lavender and magenta gown simply did not look appealing to me and did little to highlight the actress’ lovely features. Finally, I found Knightley’s butterfly dress unflattering and its neckline in odd taste

As for the men, my favorite looks included Kevin Spacey, Jamie Dornan and Matt Bomer. Kevin Spacey always looks stylish and appeared particularly elegant, while the similar can be said for Dornan. Matt Bomer’s navy blue attire was a different choice, but worked considering the actor’s blue eyes. The same cannot be said for Kevin Dillon, whose blue-buttoned shirt underneath a jacket with an odd fabric did not work. Similarly, I found Kevin Hart’s white-trimmed jacket to be a bit much while Alan Cumming’s tan suit and sneaker combination made him look very underdressed.