Red Carpet Fashion Takes Over the Grammys

Beyoncé and Gwen Stefani are just some of the best dressed of the night alongside Kanye West and Nicki Minaj.

By Sarah Hartnett

Chanel, Prada, McQueen, oh my! The Grammys are the most important night in music, and every year the fashion trends get even more exciting. People love to see their favorite stars strut down the red carpet. You never know who is going to look terrible or who is going to outdo him or herself.

Nicki Minaj sported a show-stopping look. We are used to seeing her in avant-garde outfits, but this year she stepped onto the red carpet in a stunning black Tom Ford gown. While it still showed off her curves, it showed us a newer, classier side of Nicki Minaj. With understated accessories that allowed the dress to make a statement, she is definitely a contender for best dressed.
Another star that we always have our eyes on is Gwen Stefani. While this woman does it all, she always finds time to look effortlessly fabulous. Stefani was rocking an Atelier Versace jumpsuit. The top of the jumpsuit brought back memories of her days singing “spiderwebs”.

And of course, we could not forget about the queen herself, Beyoncé. Not only does she take over the Grammys with her incredible talent, but she also takes over the fashion world. Beyoncé is never one to disappoint and of course at this year’s Grammys she looked like perfection. Beyoncé was wearing a black long-sleeved, low-cut gown by Proenza Shouler with intricate lace and beaded detail. She also exchanged her short hair for her older, longer, wavy hairstyle. Why should any of us be surprised? Beyoncé always kills it on the red carpet.

Not only did the women rock it at the show, but the men did as well. Let us start out with Nick Jonas, who definitely stood out among the men. He looked dapper in a grey, black and yellow plaid suit by Armani. And, of course, no one can ever predict what Kanye West is going to wear or say. He debuted his new Adidas line during one of his performances. But, what really made jaws drop the most was his blacked-out velour Balmain look. It is not surprising Kanye West is a contender for best-dressed: he always looks hot.

While we love to see the amazing fashions, we also love to see who looks the worst. While Rihanna is usually breathtaking on the red carpet, her Giambattista Valli Haute Couture selection was definitely not a crowd-pleaser. Her dress would be best described as resembling a loofa.
For those who see Meghan Trainor as a bubbly pop singer, they would be disappointed to see her in such a horrid, morbid-looking dress. She was wearing a sheer black Galia Lahav gown. She was all about that lace, and it was not her best pick.

Chris Brown showed up to the red carpet looking sloppy. It looked as if what he had on was not fitted well. It is also hard to see Ed Sheeran in the same exact outfit at every award show in the form of a skinny tie and vest.

Seeing all the celebrities’ fashions, we got a glimpse of the overall trends. We saw ultra-embellished metallic gowns on many of the stars such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Rita Ora. Low cuts were also seen on Nicki Minaj, Kim Kardashian, Madonna and Ashanti. Miley Cyrus, Chrissy Tiegen and Ariana Grande sported dresses with cut outs. The men’s trends were mostly all-black and velour suits.

Those were just a few of the many ladies and guys who rocked it out on the red carpet. The Grammys are always full of vibrant, new fashions. While this night is about music, it also is a very important night in the fashion world.