Campus Ministry Prepares for Lent Services

On Wednesday, February 18, Catholics around the world will attend Ash Wednesday services, beginning the Lenten season.

On Wednesday, February 18, Catholics around the world will attend Ash Wednesday services, beginning the Lenten season. Eric Gay/AP

By Eddie Mikus

Along with the rest of the world’s Catholic institutions, Fordham University is preparing to commemorate the season of Lent, which this year begins on Feb. 18.
The season of Lent consists of the time between Ash Wednesday and the Easter Triduum. The season is meant to commemorate the time Jesus spent in the desert prior to the start of his ministry.

Father Philip Florio, S.J., vice president of Campus Ministry, offered some further insights into the meaning of Lent.

“Lent, in one word, is renewal,” said Florio. “Renewing the spirit, renewing the commitment to care for others, one’s prayer life and relationship with God, renewing one’s attitude towards spiritual living, renewing. That should be happening all the time, but Lent is a special period of 40 days to renew for the great celebration of Easter.

Florio said that the university’s Lenten program this year would emphasize the Corporal Works of Mercy, which are deeds that one performs in order to meet the material needs of others.

“We’re focusing on the physical works of mercy, especially care for the poor,” Florio said.

The university’s Lenten focus will expand upon its Lenten celebration from last year, which revolved around a statement from Pope Francis: “The world tells us to seek success, power and money; God tells us to seek humility, service and love.”
The university’s Lent program will kick off with a celebration of Mardi Gras, a traditional French festival that takes place the day before the season begins. Additionally, Campus Ministry is offering several Masses and ash distribution services at all three Fordham campuses on Ash Wednesday, the day which marks the actual start of Lent.

“We’re going to have Stations of the Cross, which will be a display in the McGinley lobby, something new this year,” Florio said.

“We’re having Bible Study, Praise and Worship, all the usual stuff. We will have Introduction to Centering Prayer. We’re going to do something really neat, which is the Hunger Banquet, which we started last year,” said Florio.

Another highlight of the university’s Lent celebration will be a prayer walk throughout the Bronx.

“We’re going to have a pilgrimage through the Bronx again, Camino del Bronx,” Florio said. “Students will leave Fordham and walk through the Bronx and go to different sites and we’ll end up at a parish to do some service.”

Additionally, the university plans to conduct a daylong celebration of the sacrament of Reconciliation in order to honor the penitential aspects of Lent.

“Lent is a penitential season, and the Church encourages its sons and daughters to celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation,” Florio said. “We will have priests all day available in the Church on Monday, March 30.”

The university’s Lent celebration will culminate on Palm Sunday with a dramatization of the Passion of Jesus Christ directed by Fordham student Philip Reilly, FCRH’ 15.

Florio said that he expects students to respond positively to the Lenten activities.

“I hope that they will react the way they have in the past, which is positively,” Florio said when asked about his expectations for how students would receive the Lenten programs. “We see a big increase in the number of students attending our Masses and our programs and activities and spiritual programs, especially. So, in the past, it’s been very successful, and I would hope that they would continue to realize how important it is to continue to take this time to renew their spirit. I’ve been here five years, and it’s been consistently well-received.”

While Lent is most commonly considered a Catholic celebration, Florio said that Campus Ministry would acknowledge other faith traditions during the season.

“We also will acknowledge the Orthodox Christian Lent,” Florio said. “We always do. We acknowledge other traditions as well.”