Track and Field Looks to Build Off Strong Indoor Season

Outdoor track's season begins next month. Courtesy of Kerry Sorenson

Outdoor track’s season begins next month. Courtesy of Kerry Sorenson

By Bryan Kiel

As the indoor season of track and field rolls into its final few championship meets, the outdoor season is just a little more than a month ahead of us. The men’s team, which placed eighth in the Atlantic 10 Championships last year, will look to a stronger finish this year with a new class of freshmen that has been contributing since the cross country season.

The women’s team, which finished tenth last year in the A-10 championships, will try to continue its impressive work during the current winter season as they take to the outdoor track. Each squad has lost some impressive seniors from the 2014 season, but will turn to younger members that bring depth to a well-rounded team.

The women’s sprinting team is suffering probably the biggest loss: graduate student Titi Fagade. Currently in her last season of eligibility for indoor track, Fagade will remain a captain but will not be eligible for competition during the outdoor season. This means that relay teams such as the 4×800 will have to add another member to match their school record time of 8:46.25.

Other sprinters and relay members such as senior captains Melissa Higgins and Kristen Stuart are still motivated by the new season. “We’re thrilled to have Titi for the rest of this season,” said Higgins. “The rest of us will really have to work that much harder to keep up the momentum for the outdoor season.”

The outdoor season, however, should still see strong times from many of the middle and long distance runners. Senior Mara Lieberman has recently been dropping her personal records indoors, while sophomores Ariana Bottalico, Brianne Roche and Shanna Heaney have the potential to score in middle distance. Senior Brianna Tevnan, coming off a string of injuries in past years, looks to continue a very impressive year in the 3000m steeplechase event. Only time will tell if someone can step up in races such as the 10,000m in the Raleigh Relays.

Finally, the freshman class that coach Dewey has brought on includes a number of runners that have the potential to contribute right away. Freshman Merissa Wright has already made an impact as a member of the 4×800 team, while freshman cross country runners such as Brynna Harum, Shea Williams and Stephanie Leo can do well in the high-mid and distance events.

The men’s team has had a great run as well, with senior captain Lester Taylor taking the reins as Fordham’s top man.

Taylor has already broken the school record for the 800m indoors and drops his time even further outdoors. Taylor is also part of the 4×800 relay team that took second in A-10 competition last year, earning All-Atlantic 10 honors.

The biggest loss for the men is senior high jumper David Fajoyomi, who was just one of five Atlantic 10 runners who qualified for the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon, last year.

The Rams feature just one jumper this season, freshamn Ryan Riviere, who has done well in the indoor season and is looking forward to finish even better oudoors. “My goal for this year is to clear at least 4.65m,” Riviere said. “Realistically, I hope to reach this height during the outdoor season. If I do, I will have broken the current Fordham University Outdoor Pole Vault record, which is set at 4.47 meters.”

Finally, the freshman class for the men has the potential to lead the men’s team for the next few years. Additions such as Brian Cook, Thomas Slattery, Louis Santelli and NikO’Brien can contribute in multiple mid-and long distance races.

Senior Jon Annelli will look to lead in the 3000m steeplechase once again, while the junior duo of Quincy O’Connor and Mike Turi can lead in the 3000m and 5000m runs.

The first meet of the spring season is on March 20 when the team heads to Pennsylvania to take part in the West Chester Open.