Youngest, Most Courageous of Rams

After a 9-7 start to the season, the Fordham softball team will enjoy an 11 day hiatus. Courtesy of Fordham Athletics

By Drew Casey

Imani Simon, standing less than four feet tall, may be the smallest member of Fordham’s women’s basketball team, but she is still a Fordham Ram.

“She is truly a member of the team,” head coach Stephanie Gaitley said.

Simon, a six-year-old girl who is battling sickle cell anemia, has been a member of the squad since early last season, when a bond was formed between her, her family and the Rams through Team Impact, an organization that works to improve the lives of children facing life-threatening diseases by pairing them with local college athletic teams.

Given the basketball team’s commitment to service, assistant coach Jenna Cosgrove says she jumped at the opportunity to partner with Team Impact after hearing about the organization from the Fordham softball program in 2013.

“It was something that we really wanted to get involved with,” Cosgrove said. “Our kids are great, and they want to do anything they can to be involved, and I thought really involving someone to be a part of our program would be something special.”

The relationship began just prior to the start of the 2013-2014 season, when Cosgrove and a few players visited Simon and her family at their Yonkers home. Although Simon was shy at first, Cosgrove said that she gradually became more and more comfortable.

The bond continued to take shape when Simon officially signed a letter of intent to become part of the team at a press conference held at Rose Hill on Nov. 3, 2013.

Soon thereafter, Simon started to become close with members of a special leadership team, according to Cosgrove. She developed an especially close relationship with now-junior guard Khadijah Gibson and now-senior guard Taryn Durant.

“Every child wants to go out and play everyday, but it’s hard for her to do things like that all the time,” Durant said. “But we also know that Imani doesn’t show it at all, like whatsoever. You would never tell. She’s a happy, energetic and talkative child.”

Simon is actively engaged and enthusiastic when she is able to attend games at the Rose Hill Gym, and according to Gibson, the team tends to perform well when she is in attendance at the ninety-year-old basketball cathedral.

“Coming to every game, I’d definitely say she’s our good luck charm,” Gibson said. “She definitely brightens our day and lifts our spirit on the bench.”

While Simon brings joy to the team, the team also brings joy to Simon. According to her mother, Elenor Bristol, Simon truly loves the players and spending time with them.

“They treat her like family here,” Bristol said. “That means a lot to her. It’s just a good thing she’s here, because it allows her to forget what’s happening to her. And she enjoys it.”

The relationship has also been very beneficial to Simon’s entire family.

“It’s been a great help for me and my family, because without Fordham, there was nothing for her,” Bristol said. “Now that she’s on the team, it means a lot to us. It really does.”

The bond has benefited both sides, and the overall experience has been filled with many memorable moments thus far.

“I think my favorite thing about Imani is just seeing her eyes light up when she’s with the players and knowing that she’s part of the team,” Gaitley said.

Durant, on the other hand, loves watching Simon play basketball with her brothers, especially older and taller Tyreke.

“He just steals the ball from her, and she gets pissed and steals the ball back and throws it at his head,” Durant said. “It’s all laughs and jokes, and it’s really adorable. It’s great to see such a happy family.”

Recently, Simon and Bristol traveled north with the team for their matchup with the University of Rhode Island. While the team did not pull out a win, Simon still seemed to enjoy her time in the “Ocean State.”

Win or lose, Simon can often be found on the Fordham bench, sitting with her teammates and cheering her Rams on.