‘The Bachelor’ Brings Emotional Drama (Laughs too)

Contestants will never look at a rose the same way again, as the bachelor doles out roses each week to show his affection. COURTESY OF FLICKR

Contestants will never look at a rose the same way again, as the bachelor doles out roses each week to show his affection. Courtesy of Flickr

By Nicole Horton

Chris Soules, a farmer from the secluded town of Arlington, Iowa, is searching for love following an exit from Andi Dorfman’s season of “The Bachelorette.” Season 19 of “The Bachelor” features elements to which the show’s fans have grown accustomed to: heartfelt displays of affection, cringe-worthy moments, questions about whether specific women are truly on the show to find love and melodramatic breakdowns (cue the mascara streaming tears).

After last season’s bachelor Juan Pablo, who many openly criticized for his insensitivity, fans will be happy to jump onto this tractor. Soules even admits that his biggest fear in being on the show is proposing to a woman he is in love with, only to find cannot adjust to life in Arlington. However, many have said that Soules was too quick to kiss many of the women, especially when he kissed front-runner Britt Nilsson on the first night.

Jimmy Kimmel (whose ABC show often features “Bachelor” cast members) appeared on the show earlier in the season and certainly contributed to a memorable episode — whether it was bringing an “amazing” jar for everyone to donate a dollar each time they said the overused adjective, or tagging along on a date and eating chicken wings during a hot tub make-out session.

As far as other contestants go, the women definitely brought some drama to the show as a number of them formed deeper connections to Soules during the season. One of the most talked about was Ashley Salter, who the other contestants deemed the “crazy one” — not to be confused with the “drunk one,” Tara. Salter left viewers wondering if the producers picked her for that very reason or if she pulled off one of the greatest cons in “Bachelor” history.

Watching Soules interact with the group will show the audience that he still has a lot to learn about women. For example, when Ashley Iaconetti told Soules that the other women found Kelsey Poe condescending, he addressed the issue with Poe by mentioning that Iaconetti had told him. In another episode, he kissed Nilsson multiple times in front of the other women on a group date, causing two of them to cry.

Viewers wondered if Britt Nilsson was genuine in her feelings for Chris and sabotaged by the other contestants, or merely telling him what he wanted to hear. After all, can a woman from Los Angeles who sleeps in make-up live on a desolate farm? In the end, Soules questioned her sincerity and sent her home.

Going into the finale, the two remaining contestants are Becca Tilley and Whitney Bischoff. Soules admits that he is falling in love with both women, but he definitely has some questions before proposing. Tilley’s family revealed that she has never been affectionate with a boyfriend in front of them. Also, she has not said that she would move to Arlington. Then there is Bischoff, who is the traditional southern belle. Soules questioned whether she could give up her career as a pediatric nurse to live in Arlington, since there is not a major hospital nearby, but she says that she would put her career aside to have a family.

Viewers will wonder if Soules will go with Bischoff, who seems more sure of what she wants, or take a chance on Tilley if he feels a deeper connection to her.