E!’s ‘The Royals’: A Not So Guilty Indulgence

COURTESY OF E! ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY

Courtesy of E! Entertainment company

By Nicole Horton

“One Tree Hill” creator Mark Schwann weaves an intricate web of royal drama and deceit in E!’s first scripted series with a pilot episode that can easily draw in fans. “The Royals,” filled with family turmoil, scandal and illicit romances, has the potential to compete with other television melodrama staples like “Empire,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away With Murder.”

The fictional British monarchy is helmed by King Simon (Vincent Regan, 300) and Queen Helena (Elizabeth Hurley, “Gossip Girl”), who appear to be polar opposites rather than a united royal couple. King Simon is an enlightened ruler and shows how much he cares about his children. Queen Helena embodies Lady Macbeth as she looks to suppress her emotions, often associated with femininity, in favor of appearing as a strong ruler. Since they do not seem to be compatible, it will be interesting to see if there will be flashbacks or scenes reminiscing about how the two came to be married.

It is the younger royals that the show really has fun with in regards to outrageousness and debauchery. As Prince Liam, William Moseley is sincere and charming with boy-band-cute looks. In addition to his demeanor and blonde hair, Prince Liam is similar to the real-life Prince William in that he has a crush on a commoner, Ophelia (Merritt Patterson, “Ravenswood”). Ophelia’s father is the head of the Royals security detail. Viewers will want to root for this couple, but also worry that their interaction will impact her father’s job. For “Gossip Girl” fans, Ophelia will remind them of Dan or Vanessa — on the outside looking into an impermeable, glamorous and wealthy world. In conjunction with that reference, Prince Liam could easily be Nate Archibald’s royal alter ego.

Prince Liam’s rebellious sister, Princess Eleanor is played by Alexandra Park, who alternates between nasty retorts, hard partying and displays of emotion that remind you she is a young woman still finding herself. Then there is Jasper (Tom Austen, Legendary), Princess Eleanor’s attractive bodyguard who will have viewers questioning his intentions and motives. Their interaction will certainly heat up in the upcoming episodes.

Aside from the drama and vices, the pilot also offers a number of humorous moments. The episode begins as Princess Eleanor drunkenly dances on a table at a club, and various tabloid headlines feature photos of “the royal beaver.” Then, there is Liam and Eleanor’s incessantly dumb female cousins who come to visit. Anyone skeptical of the concept of a monarchy will not have their doubts quelled by watching these two princesses.

“The Royals” is definitely an escapist drama, not a guilty pleasure. Fans of “Gossip Girl” or other melodramas may be intrigued by this well-executed pilot, along with anyone who has ever tracked real-life royal activity.