Chic Summerwear: From Sporty Mesh to Feminine Lace

If you leave your denim jacket at home, maxi dresses are a comfortable, stylish option for summer. FLICKR/KRISTINA J

By Jungsuh Kim

Summer is a time to let loose and show a little skin. From beach days to music festivals and everything in between, summer fashion is all about freedom. When transitioning your wardrobe from spring to summer, keep the following trends in mind.
First, we have to talk about the most important piece for summer: the swimsuit.

Every year, swimwear designers come up with the next up and coming styles that make us look forward to endless pool and beach days. This year, for the first time ever, Victoria’s Secret showcased its new swim line with a special TV exclusive. The styles were ravishing, varied and were tailored to many different styles, making shopping for swimwear even more exciting than usual. Styles ranged from sporty chic to boho babe, classic and edgy.

The sporty line features neoprene material and bright, summer-inspired colors. Many were reminiscent of scuba gear and are both practical and fun.

The bohemian style swimsuits featured tassels and beads that resembled the outfits celebrities modeled during Coachella weekend. Lace-inspired patterns gave these swimsuits a more demure look.

The edgy style suits have awesome side cutouts and intricate back detailing (although they would make for some crazy tan lines) that are sure to turn heads.

Some spring trends have carried over into casual wear for summer. The top five trends for summer are lace, hippie-inspired looks, black mesh, monochromatic patterns and menswear. Many of these trends are holdovers from the spring, but have been revamped for summer.

Lace is a staple in the fashion world. It has always been the go-to fabric for the playful, romantic look of spring and summer. This time, designers have taken it up a notch by using delicate fabrics that play on the romance of white lace. The details of the intricate fabric add a touch of demure feminine flair, giving clothing an effortless look. Designers have also combined this look with low backlines and subtle cutouts, making the lace stand out more against the look of bare skin. The use of sheer fabrics and intricate details make this season’s lace a subtle look.

Maxi dresses are still a big trend for summer. Stepping straight out of 1970s Marrakech, Morrocco, light and flowing dresses have been spotted all over the runways during spring fashion week. The vibrant patterns and effortless way these dresses flow with the wind make these the perfect essentials for Sunday morning brunches. The prevalent bohemian trend gets a luxe makeover for the summer with pastel silhouettes and pleated layers.

Mesh is making an appearance in clothing other than sportswear. Worn all over or as a standout piece, mesh makes a graphic statement for summer. The sheerness of mesh gives any outfit a hint of allure.

Minimalism has always been a staple New Yorker look. The black and white combo often seems too harsh to wear in the warmer months. Designers like Givenchy and Balmain, however, have made it work. By using a combination of various materials like studs, zips, matte and gloss finish, the monochromatic look can look simple and chic without being completely overbearing. The key to rocking the monochromatic look is not to think so hard.

Finally, a nod to the menswear influence, which was prevalent in fall and winter in the form of boyfriend jeans and oversize sweaters, makes a return for the summer. Designers brought back masculine style suits for women and have amped it up with asymmetrical cuts that contrast with strong street wear edge. The boldness of the asymmetrical lines adds a bit more punch to these options.

Although this season’s summer trends rarely forecast anything we have not seen already, they are still fresh and inspiring with only minor design variations. Summertime is the best time to experiment with new trends because of endless nights, upbeat music and sunny days.