DJ Solodisco Brings Hot Beats to Cold Night

Students do not let the cold stop them from dancing to EDM and house music. KELLYN SIMPKINS/THE FORDHAM RAM

Students do not let the cold stop them from dancing to EDM and house music. Kellyn Simpkins/The Fordham Ram

By Jessica Mannino

Students of Fordham University kicked off Spring Weekend Friday night with Solodisco at the annual DJ event in A-Lot, organized by Campus Activities Board.

Despite the regrettable reality of a forty-one-degree forecast, students assembled in the transformed parking lot, unfazed by the weather, for a night of music and dancing. The majority concurred that as long as you found yourself in the middle of the crowd, temperature did not matter much. “Despite the cold, I think the event went very well,” remarked Meghan McWaters, FCRH ’17, a member of Campus Activities Board (CAB). “It was a bit slow to start, but once people started coming in droves, everyone seemed to forget about the cold and have fun.”

Members of CAB on duty were consistently alert of the incoming and outgoing traffic, assuring that all things ran smoothly and all security remained intact.

On April 15, about a week prior to the event, CAB released the student DJ poll on Orgsync to the students of Fordham Rose Hill to vote for the opening act of #FSW15. The poll results revealed that student DJ Nick Monaco, GSB ’17, received the most votes, and was selected to open for Solodisco the night of April 25.

When asked of his reaction to winning, Monaco revealed, “After winning the DJ contest, I was filled with a range of emotions from excitement, to shock, to joy. But, that soon turned to stress as it came down to it that I only had three days to prepare.”

Despite his initial qualms, the performance was a success. Sarah Beriont, FCRH ’17, said, “I really enjoyed the set and Nick did an awesome job. He seemed very comfortable and his music choice was great to dance to.”

Solodisco, a famous name in disco house music, was met with a fond reaction as well. Sophomore Katelyn Jakubowski, GSB ’17, commented, “even though I don’t particularly love house music or electric-sounding songs, it didn’t stop me from dancing all night. I surprisingly really enjoyed the music choice.”