Horror Shows Taking Over Television

By Megan Bronner

"American Horror Story: Hotel" comes out Oct. 1, featuring Lady Gaga.

“American Horror Story: Hotel” comes out Oct. 1, featuring Lady Gaga.

There have been TV shows in the past that have had a mix of scary, science-fiction and drama. But we have not come across TV shows specifically categorized as “horror.” Recently “American Horror Story” has become one of the most popular shows on TV and, rather than being an ongoing drama series, each season is like watching a separate horror movie. “American Horror Story” has become a huge success, and is also known for the famous actors and actresses who join the cast each season. This season comes with extra buzz and excitement as Lady Gaga joins the show. The popularity of “American Horror Story” could have influenced the start of other horror television series.

Recently, two shows have aired which are also considered a part of the horror genre: Fox’s “Scream Queens” and MTV’s “Scream.” Considering that horror and psychological thrillers are such popular genres in film, it was only fitting that they come to TV. “Scream Queens” is an anthology in its first season and in addition to its horror genre is a comedy. Being considered two genres, rather than only horror, allows for this show to be seen as different from “American Horror Story” and brings a lighter edge to the horror genre in general. This aspect of “Scream Queens” can appeal to more viewers who may be turned off by the horror genre. The first season of “Scream Queens” is centered on a series of murders that take place at a sorority. “Scream Queens” is a show that is able to poke fun at itself, considering the idea of murders taking place at a sorority is intended to be comedic, which means that this show will not be as serious. However, MTV’s “Scream” takes on a different perspective than “Scream Queens” and “American Horror Story.” “Scream” is a television series based off of the movie franchise by the same name. This television adaptation follows a group of teenagers after a brutal murder in their town. The difference in plots across shows means that they will not get repetitive or be deemed “too similar.”

“American Horror Story” has probably influenced the direction of the genre by being able to appeal to audiences in a different capacity and for consecutive seasons. Given that the creators of “American Horror Story” and “Scream Queens” are the same, it is probable that there was some cross-influence. However, it is interesting that the shows can come under the same umbrella genre of horror but have completely different premises, proving that this genre is diverse.

As mentioned, horror television shows are becoming more popular but is their popularity due to their intriguing plots or the slew of famous celebrities who are a part of the casts? Considering that in “American Horror Story” many of the characters change from season to season, a change in plot is ensured and the show is always refreshing and exciting.

This coming season of “American Horror Story” added Gaga to the mix, which has definitely added to the excitement and hype of “American Horror Story: Hotel.” The same is true for “Scream Queens,” also an anthology, with many famous cast members like Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts and Lea Michele. In general, “American Horror Story” and “Scream Queens,” have been given more recognition in the media than MTV’s “Scream.” This could be attributed to the fact that “American Horror Story” and “Scream Queens” have better-known casts.

In general, the horror genre will always remain popular, considering its ability to captivate audiences through mystery and intrigue. In recent years, there has been a general surge in the popularity of TV shows. Horror television shows bring new life to the genre because, rather than watching one horror film, audiences will be able to follow the plot for multiple episodes and seasons. It will be interesting to see how “American Horror Story” will potentially continue to shape the future of the horror television industry, and how new horror television shows will fare in seasons to come.