Should We Still Celebrate Columbus Day?

By Delaney Benison

Many people believe that we should not celebrate Columbus Day because of the crimes he committed. Courtesy of Wikimedia

Many people believe that we should not celebrate Columbus Day because of the crimes he committed. Courtesy of Wikimedia.

For many Americans, Columbus Day is just seen as an extra day off in October. Most do not consider the historic reality that comes with the day. As kids, we are taught that “Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492,” in order to remember history. But the problem is, we are not remembering or being taught the truth. We are taught that the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria were to find a new way to the East Indies, and Columbus ended up in America.

The common misconception: Columbus never stepped foot in North America. Therefore, he did not “discover” America; he was a genocidal tyrant that led to the death of 95 percent of the indigenous population in the Bahamas.

Columbus was also not the one who proved the earth was round. It was commonly accepted by Greek philosophers before 1400 that the earth was round. But we have to pose the real question: should we celebrate Columbus Day? We should not celebrate it because Columbus did not discover America. But do we cancel the holiday and ignore history altogether, good or bad? Is this the type of thing that we should be embarrassed about and want to pretend never happened? Probably.

The argument for Columbus Day is that Columbus opened up America to European settlement. We owe a debt of gratitude because without him, we would not be where we are today. Speaking to Dr. Elaine Crane from the history department, she made a fair and valid point. Changing the name will not change history. It does not change the premise of the day that we celebrate, and while changing the name may be acknowledging the people who suffered rather than the slaughterers, it may remain that Columbus will be the only one remembered. Education on this subject is the only way to begin change.

Columbus was not a man of honorable intentions. People already lived in a place he claimed to have discovered, and he took advantage because he could. We should not celebrate Columbus Day. Should we instead follow Alaska’s lead and celebrate Indigenous People’s Day? Will that truly make us feel better about this period in history? Will it change the way we celebrate this day? Possibly. Alaska’s argument is that “the State opposes systematic racism toward Indigenous Peoples of Alaska or any Alaskans of any origin and promotes policies and practices that reflect the experiences of Indigenous Peoples, ensure greater access and opportunity, and honor our nation’s indigenous roots, history.”

We should honor indigenous roots. If this helps bring light and justification to those who were injured by Columbus’ crimes against a race, I do not see the harm in changing the holiday’s name. No, it does not change the facts, but it changes the perspective. If we change the holiday to Indigenous People’s Day we can begin to look upon it with some hope for the future. If we do not remember history, we are doomed to repeat it. Therefore, if we accept our history, as grim as it is, and turn it towards something productive and positive, we will have found something to work for in our country.

Delaney Benison, FCRH ’17, is a communications and media studies major from Auburn, Massachusetts.