The Little Prince: An Escape from Reality

By Claire Del Sorbo

For the past few weeks, most students at Fordham have been saddled with midterms. Spending hours upon hours in the library and endlessly studying has no doubt plagued the student body. This week, instead of venturing into Manhattan and making a day-long trip to see a professional production, I chose a simpler route. I walked several steps away from my dorm to Collins Hall, to check out Fordham Experimental Theater’s production of “The Little Prince.”

Under the direction of Cat Gallagher, FCRH ’17, and Jane Skapek, FCRH ’16, “The Little Prince” is a play based on the novella by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. An aviator’s (Michael Brown, FCRH ’16) plane crashes into the Sahara desert, leaving him stranded with a small supply of food and water. As he tries to salvage his plane, he encounters a mysterious young boy whom he refers to as the little prince (Colleen Granberg, FCRH ’18). The little prince shares tales of his eclectic adventures with the aviator, and shares how he is trying to return home to his planet and reunite with his prized companion, a single red rose (Maeve O’Sullivan, FCRH ’17).

He tells about his travels to other planets, each inhabited by narrow-minded adults: a king with no subjects (Patrick Donovan Hood, FCRH ’17), a conceited man (Rita Padden, FCRH ’18), a drunkard who drinks to forget his alcoholism, a businessman who “doesn’t have time” for fun (John Murray, FCRH ’16) and a man whose life revolves around a menial task. The little prince, disappointed by grown-ups’ lack of spirit, decides to visit Earth, where he meets a graceful, enigmatic snake (Mary Kate Glenn, FCRH ’17). He also meets a fox (Hillary Bosch, FCRH ’19) who initially has no interest in human contact. The fox connects with the little prince, who eventually tames her. The aviator learns a few lessons from the little prince, and is ultimately changed for the better from their encounter.

There was a clear attention to design, which made all the difference. The design of the set was minimalistic and simple, yet transported me into the desert. The lights were beautiful, and the makeup of the Snake and the Fox was gorgeous. The utilization of space in the small, somewhat cramped, Blackbox of Collins was well-done. Every movement was purposeful and nothing felt forced.

The cast as a whole was commendable. Colleen Granberg, specifically, was remarkable in her performance as the titular, cheerful, yet painfully aware imp. Her performance charmed me and irritated me in the best way possible, because too often, children are both charming and irritating. In two words, her performance was utterly convincing. In her performance I saw the child in everybody: inquisitive and optimistic. I also thoroughly enjoyed Michael Brown as the aviator. He gives an altruistic performance as an adult trying to reconnect with his lost childhood, whilst trying to deal with a difficult situation.

Recently, midterms have left us addled and high-strung, but this past weekend, “The Little Prince” provided an escape from the impending anguish of test-taking. It reminded me that although we must deal with our adult responsibilities, there is always a little room for the childlike spirit of fun in our lives.

There is one comment