The Compelling Tale of Women’s Rights in America

By Sophie Ladanyi

Suffragete features a powerful female cast to show the struggle for women’s rights.

Carey Mulligan’s new movie, Suffragette, does not disappoint. The film, directed by Sarah Gavron and costarring Helena Bonham Carter and Meryl Streep, tells the story of the British women who worked to gain suffrage in the early 20th century. Mulligan plays Maud Watts, a laundress who gets involved in the movement when convinced by a friend to join in a protest . Maud befriends fellow activists, including Emeliene Pankhurst (Streep), and Edith Ellyn (Bonham Carter). They work to gain equality, whether it be by going on hunger strike, bombing mailboxes or speaking to parliament members, who, of course, do not listen.

Mulligan not only viscerally connects with her character, but also offers a stunning portrayal (one of her best) of a woman willing to risk everything for a brighter future. Bonham Carter’s performance is excellent, while Streep’s is lackluster since she attempts to develop her character in about 10 minutes of screentime.

However, the film does more than highlight the bravery of these women. It gives insight into the bondage of societal pressure and sexism the real suffragettes had to overcome. It shows how, as women became more devoted to the cause, they took greater risks while enduring ridicule. Tear-jerking scenes detail their hardships, such as physical abuse from police and emotional abuse from their families, who spurn them because of their radical behavior.

Perhaps the most important thing Suffragette does is show us three things: how significant suffrage is in itself, how far women have come and how far women still have to go. With the presidential election a year away, there have been strong campaigns to get young adults to the polls, since that demographic is known to have low voter turnouts. In much the same way, Suffragette reminds women that voting is not a chore, but a privilege that was earned and we have fought for. Women risked their lives so we could have that privilege; we need to take advantage of it.

Watching the film, I was so grateful for these women and thankful that I can share my political opinions. Moreover, the film made me thankful that I have other freedoms: I am allowed to work, receive an education and wear whichever clothes I choose — opportunities many women in other countries are denied. Yet, Suffragette also keenly reminded me that the fight for women’s rights is far from finished. There remain many issues to be resolved, including equal pay, reproductive rights and sexism in the workplace and media.

Suffrage seems like an integral part of being a law-abiding citizen, but the film reminds viewers that in some places, it is not. In the end credits, viewers see a list of nations and when their female citizens were enfranchised. Saudi Arabia was last on that list. Women there have simply been “promised” voting rights. And when, you may ask? In 2015.