Alvin Ailey Offers Various Dance Stylings in Season Preview

By Nicole Horton

Screenshot of Ballet - C - Andrew Eccles of Alivin Ailey American Dance Theatre

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater/Andrew Eccles

The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater premiered four distinct, lively performances to preview its winter season, which goes from Dec. 2, 2015 to Jan. 3, 2016.

First, Artistic Director Robert Battle debuted his first new work since assuming the position in 2011. Battle served as the host for the evening, introducing each performance and offering creative insight. Awakening, set to a symphonic score by frequent collaborator John Mackey, shows the chaos in humanity. The dancers effortlessly translate a mix of emotions from confusion and wonderment, to sharp, abrupt movements and long, fluid motions. When introducing his work, Battle cites the influence and memory of Ailey. For anyone who prefers darker, more emotive dance performances, Awakening is an ideal choice.

Piazzolla Caldera serves as choreographer Paul Taylor’s passionate homage to tangos. The men face the women, taking turns dancing in a way that is sensual yet playful. Then they break off into pairs, giving the audience a great deal to take in. The number culminates when one duo that takes center stage in a passionate, skillful display that includes a challenging lift and elaborate spins.

“Poppies,” an excerpt from Love Songs, features vocals that those who are accustomed to musical theater will enjoy. Love Songs serves as a nod to the theater’s roots, since Ailey choreographed the composition in 1972. Fluid moves signify openness to the world and nature. The jazz style music starts off slowly and builds, almost buzzing like bright poppies as the dancers spin and skip.

Open Door represents the powerful union of dance and culture. Battle said that the excerpt was heavily influenced by choreographer Ronald K. Brown’s experience traveling in Cuba, which is certainly evident. Powerful horns and drums set the mood as the dancers performed salsa and hip-hop–inspired choreography with a great deal of hip movement. Along with the cultural aspect, there was a mix of classic and modern influences that most fans of dance would definitely enjoy.

Although the four excerpts were short, each told a story and a great deal about what the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater has in store this season. There are universal and more specific styles of dance that audiences will enjoy, with a range of auras from dark to passionate to light.