Women’s Basketball Wins The Battle of the Bronx

Missry’s threes were crucial in Fordham’s victory over Manhattan.

Fordham Women’s Basketball earned its first win of the season Wednesday night on the road with a 60-49 victory over the Manhattan College Jaspers.

In the first quarter Manhattan got off to a quick start. The Jaspers made the first three shots of the game, two of them off Fordham turnovers, to take a quick 6-0 lead just three minutes into the game. Ram sophomore forward G’mrice Davis hit the first bucket for Fordham to cut the Jasper lead to four, followed by an 11-6 run to put Fordham ahead by one. Manhattan answered with seven straight points to take a 19-13 lead into the second quarter.

In the second, Fordham opened the scoring with 12 straight points. A Davis jumper, a three-pointer each from juniors Danielle Burns and Hannah Missry and two layups from sophomore guard Asnate Fomina put the Rams back up 25-19. Fordham held the lead going into the half 28-26, after both teams were held scoreless for the last 2:20 of the quarter.

Senior center Samantha Clark led Fordham with six rebounds, while Davis chipped in eight points and three steals. The Rams also had the advantage in points off turnovers 11-8 and second change points 8-2. Fordham also scored 14 points in the paint to Manhattan’s eight in the first half.

Manhattan struck first in the third quarter to tie the score at 28, but a three from Missry gave the Rams the lead back once again. The score was retied at 31 after a Jasper layup and free throw, but a bucket each from junior forward Daniello Padavano and Clark made it 35-31 Fordham. After a Manhattan jump shot, two Jasper free throws from Taylor Williams broke up two scoreless minutes late in the third to tie the score again. Free throws began to fall quickly for Manhattan; the Jaspers scored four points sandwiched in between Fordham’s one to take a 39-36 advantage. However, a David layup and another Missry three in the final 1:40 of the quarter gave Fordham back the lead, 41-39.

The Jaspers retied the game quickly in the fourth, but three Ram free throws made it 44-41 Fordham. The score stood close for most of the final quarter, until five straight points, capped off by a Clark layup, made it 53-46 Fordham with under three minutes to play. The two teams exchanged points for the next minute and a half, but the Rams ended the game with five unanswered free throws for the 60-49 victory.

Davis had another strong game for the Rams, leading them with 19 points. Clark (10) and Missry (10) were the other two Fordham players in double figures. Clark and Davis also recorded double doubles, grabbing 12 and 10 rebounds respectively. Fomina added five assists and a steal for Fordham as well. For Manhattan, Amani Tatum led the Jaspers with 12 points and Kayla Grimme had eight boards.

The now 1-1 Rams responded well after a tough game against Penn State this past weekend. The women are off until next Tuesday, when they play their home opener as part of a doubleheader with the men’s team. They have the first game of the doubleheader, hosting Lafayette College at 6 p.m.