A Student’s Guide to Museums in New York City

The Met is only one of the many museums to visit this season in NYC. Courtesy of Flickr.

By Annie David

Living in New York City, it can be easy to forget how many awesome cultural experiences we have right outside our doors. However, as students, many of us do not have the means by which to spend an exorbitant amount on tickets to these places. This is where your student ID comes in. Did you know that almost every museum will give students discounted ticket prices? Below you will find classic and alternative museums to go to without breaking the bank.

Museum of Modern Art
The Museum of Modern Art is a classic New York City museum. You can see a variety of artwork from artists such as Jackson Pollock and Claude Monet. Now through Feb. 7th, visitors can see a collection of Picasso’s sculptures. Also, every Friday night from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. admission is free for all visitors!
11 West 53rd Street
Saturday to Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Students: $14
Friday Night: Free

The Metropolitan Museum of Art
As the largest art museum in the United States, the Met has something to offer everyone. The current exhibition on the fashion icon Jacqueline de Ribes is beautiful and definitely worth seeing.
1000 Fifth Ave. (at 82nd Street)
Sunday to Thursday:10a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Students: Suggested donation
of $12

The Cloisters
Part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Cloisters is located in Fort Tryon Park in Upper Manhattan. It is dedicated solely to medieval European art and architecture. The gardens surrounding and inside of the museum are breathtaking and should not be missed.
99 Margaret Corbin Dr.
Fort Tryon Park
Open Daily
March to Oct. :10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nov. to Feb. : 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Students: $12
Museum of the Moving Image
Located in Astoria, Queens, the Museum of the Moving Image showcases the history of film, television and all things digital. The museum currently has an exhibition titled “How Cats Took Over the Internet.”
36-01 35 Ave., Astoria
Wednesdays to Thursdays:
10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Fridays: 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
(free admission: 4p.m. to 8 p.m.)
Saturdays and Sundays: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Students: $9

Schomburg Center for  Research in Black Culture
Part of the New York Public Library system, the Schomburg Center is a great place to go to learn about the history of Harlem. One of their current exhibitions is a celebration of the American Negro Theater, a small theater company in Harlem that produced stars such as Ossie Davis, Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier. Another current exhibition follows the movement of Afrofuturism through digital media and literature.
515 Malcolm X Blvd.
Monday, Thursday to Saturday:
10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday:
10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Students: Free

Guggenheim Museum
The Guggenheim is breathtaking from the moment you set eyes on the building. The renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed the modern building. The museum houses exhibits from Impressionism to contemporary art. Its current exhibit titled “Photo-Poetics: An Anthology” is wonderful and cannot be missed. Also, on Saturday evenings from 5:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. admission is pay-what-you-wish.
1071 Fifth Ave. (at 88th Street)
Sunday to Friday (except Thurs day): 10:00 a.m.
Thursday: Closed
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Students: $18

National September 11 Memorial & Museum
Visiting the 9/11 Museum is one of the most powerful and humbling experiences one can have. This museum is a place everyone should visit and see.
180 Greenwich Street
Sunday to Thursday: 9 a.m. to 8p.m.
Friday to Saturday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Students: $18

Whitney Museum of American Art
The Whitney is comprised entirely of 20th and 21st century American art. For much of its history, the museum was located on the Upper East Side. In 2015 though, the Whitney moved to its new building in the West Village/Meatpacking District. Its current exhibition of artist Frank Stella is mesmerizing and certainly worth seeing. Also, on Friday nights from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., admission is pay-what-you-wish.
99 Gansevoort St.
Sunday to Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday: Closed
Friday to Saturday: 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Students: $18

Brooklyn Museum
The Brooklyn Museum is a great place to see different types of art. Also, the museum’s building itself is magnificent. The museum is known for its awesome exhibitions, and one of their current ones, “Coney Island: Visions of an American Dreamland, 1861-2008” is no exception.
200 Eastern Pkwy.
Sunday to Wednesday:11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday to Tuesday: Closed
Thursday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Students: Suggested donation of $10
Ages 19 and under: Free

Bronx Museum of the Arts
Located right here in the Bronx, the Bronx Museum of the Arts is full of amazing art. One of their current exhibitions is the art of Martin Wong. His art discusses issues such as gentrification and the criminal justice system.
1040 Grand Concourse
(at East 165th Street)
Wednesday to Sunday: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Monday and Tuesday: Closed
Free Admission for all