U.S. News Ranks Gabelli, GSE, Fordham Law

By Aislinn Keely

(Courtesy of the Ram Archives)

U.S. News released its 2018 graduate school rankings on March 14, placing three of Fordham’s schools within the top 75. The publication ranked Fordham Law No. 36, Gabelli’s Graduate School of Business Administration No. 73 and the Graduate School of Education No. 48. U.S. News surveyed graduate programs in 2016 and 2017 to formulate the 2018 list.

Fordham Law tied with University of Colorado – Boulder, Wake Forest University and University of California – Davis for 36 of the 197 bar-accredited law schools that the publication evaluated. Matthew Diller, dean of Fordham Law, said he was pleased with the ranking.
“We’re delighted with the recent favorable rankings that Fordham Law received in U.S. News—including having five of our specialty programs ranked among the top in the nation—as well as in the National Law Journal, Vault and SoFi,” said Diller.

One of these programs was Fordham Law’s part-time law program, which U.S. News ranked third for part-time schools.

U.S. News determined the law school rankings through a weighted assessment, which included quality, selectivity, placement assessment and faculty resources. Fordham ranked well among its Catholic competitors, with St. John’s receiving the 72 slot, Boston College at 26, Notre Dame at 20 and Georgetown at 15. Diller kept the ranking in perspective. “Of course, the spirit of the Fordham Law community and the achievements of our students and alumni eclipse any ranking or methodology,” he said.

U.S. News ranked Fordham’s Graduate School of Education No. 48 out of schools that provide doctoral degrees in education. They tied with Georgia State University, Temple University and the University of Illinois – Chicago. Virginia Roach, dean of the Graduate School of Education, said the ranking reflects the school’s dedication to providing a comprehensive education.
“The Fordham Graduate School of Education’s ranking reflects our commitment to quality instruction, support of the schools in our community, and dedication to rigorous research leading to innovations in teaching, leading and school counseling and psychology,” said Roach.

Education programs were evaluated based on weighted assessments including quality – determined through peer and superintendent assessments — student selectivity, faculty resources and research activity.

Gabelli’s Graduate School of Business Administration was ranked at No. 73, the lowest of Fordham’s graduate schools ranked by U.S. News. Gabelli tied with Tulane University’s Freeman School of Business, University at Buffalo and University of Arkansas – Fayetville’s Walton School of Business.

Donna Rapaccioli, dean of Gabelli Business School said the ranking is not reflective of program offerings at the school, but is regardless happy to see some improvements.
“While the ranking doesn’t fully measure the quality of our program, I am pleased to see the key metrics moving in the right direction,” said Rapaccioli.

She also said she is pleased with the innovations of some of the masters programs at the school.

“I am proud of the many innovations our faculty have introduced into our MBA and MS programs which are positively impacting the student experience and job placement,” said Rapaccioli.

These metrics include a quality assessment evaluated by recruiters and peers, job placement success and student selectivity. Georgetown University – McDonough School of Busines, University of Notre Dame – Mendoza School of Business and Boston College – Carroll School of Business, earned the No. 21, No. 29 and No. 44 spots respectively.

Gabelli’s non-profit MBA degree made U.S. News’ top 10 non-profit programs. Its tenth place ranking made it a top business school for a non-profit MBA, according to U.S. News.