Senior Finds Her Sweet Spot in Social Justice

Maloney has committed her life to social justice in more ways than one. (Courtesy of Kiera Maloney)

By  Ellie Bruckner

Throughout her three years at Fordham, Kiera Maloney, FCRH ’17, has found her niche in the social justice world. From academics, to on campus clubs and her work outside of the university, Maloney’s passion for promoting community and sustainability is evident.

Maloney first got involved at Fordham through the Dorothy Day Center. Beginning her freshman year with Urban Plunge, she continued to work with Dorothy Day by doing community service projects and attending different events. Additionally, during her first year, she found herself as the only freshman member of GO! Navajo. Now, after enjoying her time so much in both of these organizations, she is both a Social Justice Leader and will lead GO! Mexico.

“I couldn’t ask for more meaningful work or a better community to do it with.” said Maloney.

During her sophomore year, Maloney found another outlet to become involved with the Fordham community when a friend introduced her to St. Rose’s Garden.

“St. Rose’s Garden is the hidden gem of Fordham, and it has been one of my favorite parts of the week,” said Maloney.

Maloney, now one of the co-managers of the garden, said the community has grown “quite a bit.” The garden hosts three meetings a week as well as special events with other clubs around once a month. Located next to the Ram Van Office, the garden is completely student run and has its own CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) that members can become a part of. Garden volunteers who help with up-keep get a share of the produce and also help bring food to local charitable organizations.

Another hidden gem that Maloney has found herself part of is the Fordham Foundry. “It’s a really cool space that encourages students to get involved with social innovation and entrepreneurship,” said Maloney. This location, just one block away from the Bathgate entrance, has been a big part of Kiera’s Fordham experience. During her sophomore year, she, along with Alyssa Rose, FCRH ’17, started their company Radiate Market. Radiate is an online marketplace, which links artisans from the Dominican Republic to a global market. The idea was formed “based on experiences we had both in meeting talented artisans all over the world and trying to shop sustainably here,” said Maloney

Her interest in global communities and sustainability led her to do research on community economics in the Belmont neighborhood. Currently, she is writing her thesis on this subject, focusing in particular on how Fordham students interact with their neighbors and local businesses.

“I think it is so important for students to have a positive relationship with the community,” she said. “The Bronx is one of the most culturally rich neighborhoods in the country in terms of music, food and immigrant groups. Every Fordham student could benefit from learning more about their current home.”

After graduation, Maloney hopes to continue her work with environmental or fair trade initiatives by working in the supply chain department for a food or clothing company. She is also considering working in a food justice non-profit. The California native also added, “Although I wouldn’t trade my four years in NYC for the world, I want to move back West.”