News and Notes 2/1/17

By Alvin Halimwidjaya

(Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

(Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

• Fordham Football Releases 2017 Schedule

Fordham Football released its schedule for 2017, its 117th season of varsity football and the second season for Andrew Breiner as head coach. Fordham Football is hosting five games at Jack Coffey Field throughout the season, highlighted by a visit from nationally-ranked Eastern Washington. Fordham’s road games are highlighted by a trip to Army West Point to start the season on Friday, Sep. 1. The Rams went 8-3 last year; the fourth straight winning season for Fordham Football gives the Rams their first stretch of four consecutive winning seasons since 1976-1979.

• Squash Goes 4-1 Over the Weekend

The Fordham squash team dominated their competition this weekend at the John Hopkins Round Robin in Baltimore, Maryland. Fordham beat John Hopkins, Lafayette, William and Mary and Vanderbilt, while only dropping a match to Duke. With these wins, Fordham improves to 8-8 for the season.

• Women’s Soccer to Host Youth Girls Winter Training

Fordham’s Women’s Soccer announced dates for its Winter Technical Training Sessions and Youth Futsal Tournament. The training sessions start on Feb. 7 and will continue for six weeks, while the futsal tourney is being held on Saturday, Feb. 11. Both events are for girls aged 8-12 and will be held in the Lombardi Fieldhouse on the Fordham Rose Hill campus.

• Fordham Swimming and Diving Teams Earn All-American Honors

Fordham Swimming received Scholar All-American Team status from the College Swimming Coaches Association of America (CSCAA). The honor is given to teams that compete at the NCAA level. Fordham men’s swimming posted a GPA of 3.35, while Fordham women’s swimming was honored for a team GPA of 3.42.  Other universities that had both teams honored include Davidson, George Mason and George Washington.