Rams Earn Season Bests in Boston

By Tom Terzulli

Rams set a plethora of season bests at the Terrier Classic. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Breaking a school record once is impressive. Breaking a school record two meets in a row is quite an accomplishment. Sophomore Mary Kate Kenny topped herself once again in the 200m dash at the Terrier Classic, hosted by Boston University on Friday.

After previously crushing the school mark at last week’s NYC Gotham Innovational with a time of 25.09, the Garden City native finished .2 seconds better at 25.07, to secure 19th place. “I went into the race excited to run and hoping that I could top my last performance because I knew this meet would have excellent competition to push me to run a fast time” said Kenny. She was joined by fellow sophomore Nkeka Pinheiro (25.51), who finished 33rd.

Merissa Wright was another top performer on the day. The junior crossed the 800m line in 2:13.31, good for 20th place and ECAC qualification in the event. Three other Rams ran the 800m, all representing the other age groups. Freshman Kaia Corthell raced to a time of 2:17.90 and finished 47th. While, senior Shanna Heaney 57th (2:19.28) and sophomore Aidan Moroz 59th (2:19.32) ended up two spots apart.

Fellow sophomore Leah Hickey put in a good showing as the only Ram in the 500m. Hingham, Massachusetts’ own was 25th fastest in the race at 1:20.11. Sophomore Laurel Fisher was similarly alone in the 1000m and also performed well, finishing 28th in 3:02.68.

Four runners stepped up in the mile. Freshman Sydney Snow paced the squad in 39th with a season best time of 5:04.94. Sophomores Angelina Grebe 64th (5:14.69), Blake Elwood 76th (5:21.14), and senior Brianne Roche 88th (5:25.22) rounded out the finishers.

And finally, the 4x400m team consisting of sophomore Morgan Menzzasalma, Kenny, Wright and Pinheiro finished 9th at 3:53.90, good for their best time of the season.

On Saturday, their male counterparts took to the track with a pair of juniors setting the pace. Junior Brian Cook placed 13th in the in the mile, with not only a season best, but also IC4A qualifying time of 4:06.54. Meanwhile, Garden City’s Thomas Slattery also qualified for the IC4A in season best time, posting a time of 2:28.34, for the 1000m.

He was joined by junior Fritz Heinrich 22nd (2:30.26) in the 1,000m. Cook was trailed by junior Louis Santelli and senior Jake Duckworth 39th (4:17.37) for the mile. Freshman Ryan Kutch finished 49th (8:41.17) in the 3000m.

In the spirits, sophomore Jared Benn had one of the better days of his Fordham career, qualifying for the IC4A in two separate events. First crossing the line in 18th for the 200m in 21.94 and later in the 400m 20th (48.83), both times were season bests. Another sophomore, Eddie Dehais, was a 37th place finisher (1:08.17), running 100m more in the 500m.  Finally, freshman Richard Webber was a 71st place finisher at (22.59).

Freshman Michael Petersen was the final singles qualifier in 16th, posting a time of 1:51.86 in the 800m. Second year runner Patrick Dineen was 76th (1:59.46).

The men’s relay team consisting of Benn, Dehais, Petersen and Webber crossed the line 17th in 3:21.63, the final IC4A qualifying time on the day.

In spite of all the qualifying performances and season bests, there was only one record breaker. Kenny does not see this momentum ending any time soon: “After improving my time this weekend, I feel a lot of momentum moving forward. I hope I can take this energy and continue to perform well.”

Kenny and the Rams get back to local action this Thursday and Friday for the Rams as they travel to the OBP Track & Field Complex in Staten Island, NY for the Metropolitan Championship.