SoFi Ranks Fordham Law Graduates No. 15 In Average Salary

Fordham Law earns a spot on SoFi's list of law schools with highest average salary rates after graduation. (Andrea Garcia/The Fordham Ram)

By Aislinn Keely

Fordham Law earns a spot on SoFi’s list of law schools with highest average salary rates after graduation. (Andrea Garcia/The Fordham Ram)

Fordham University claimed a spot on SoFi.com’s released 2017 rankings of highest average graduate salary rates. At No. 15 with an average graduate salary of $160,590, Fordham comfortably ranks in the top 20 law schools for graduate salaries. Average debt of Fordham Law graduates is $151,406, giving Fordham a 1.1 salary to debt ratio, according to SoFi.

SoFi is a “new kind of finance company taking a radical approach to lending and wealth management,” according to its website. The company specializes in providing members access to information regarding financial investments ranging from the purchase of a home to the management of student loans.

To make these rankings, SoFi used 60,000 submissions of student loan refinancing applications to the company between January 2014 and December 2016. Its figures come from “verified income and debt – not just reported figures,” according to its website.

SoFi’s Return On Education Law School Rankings reflects data from graduates three years out of law school, according to its site.

Fordham is the third highest New York City law school on SoFi’s list, sitting behind Columbia University and New York University, which rank second and third respectively. Both Columbia and New York University are also reported to have a 1.1 salary to debt ratio according to SoFi.

Dean Matthew Diller, Dean of Fordham Law, was not surprised by Fordham’s top 20 graduate salary ranking.

“The data most likely reflects our alumni who work in large, private-sector law firms,” said Diller.

Diller also said Fordham’s location in New York City helps improve its competitiveness.
“Fordham Law is one of the top four schools providing associates to large firms in New York City,” said Diller.

Diller said Fordham Law prepares students for various occupations. “Our overarching goal is to provide students with the guidance, tools, and resources to explore a vast array of career options so they can put themselves on a long-term path to career success,” said Diller.

Despite the ranking, Diller said salary date is not the most important statistic. “Initial salary isn’t always the best indicator of the career satisfaction and professional heights that Fordham Law alumni can achieve,” said Diller.

Erich Carey, LAW ’09, said Fordham Law’s location and versatility helped prepare him well for a career in law.

“Being from New York City, I’ve always had a great belief in the value of a Fordham Law education,” said Carey. “It’s an institution that prepares lawyers, regardless of practice, to chart their own course in a career that is inherently challenging and demanding.”