Women’s Tennis’ Win Streak Ends at 17

Women’s Tennis lost for the first time in 18 matches.

By Alvin Halimwidjaya

Women’s Tennis lost for the first time in 18 matches. (Emily Sayegh/The Fordham Ram)

After breezing through most of the season, the Rams experienced some struggles the final week before the A-10 championship. The team eked out a 4-3 victory against Quinnipac on April 20 in their home finale, but their win streak finally ended at 17 with 5-2 loss to Massachusetts on Sunday.

The Rams’ last home game home proved to be a tough matchup, as they started off by barely losing the doubles point. The ever-dominant duo of sophomore Carina Ma and junior Estelle Wong pulled out a win against Rachel Horton and Sydney Young 7-5, but the team went on to drop the next two sets. Sophomore Alexis Zobeideh and senior Mayu Sato fell to Jennifer Lu and Layla Rodriguez 7-5, while the pair of freshman Maia Balce and junior Caroline Sa dropped a close one to Kelsi Oliphant and Alexandra Mircea 7-6 (8-6).

However, Fordham rebounded in singles play, with Ma starting the comeback with a win against Jennifer Lu 6-2, 6-1. Wong dispatched Rachel Horton with ease 6-0, 6-1, while Balce pulled out a narrow victory over Sydney Young 7-6 (7-1), 7-5. Sato fell to Layla Rodriguez 6-4, 6-3, but sophomore Gianna Insogna ensured Fordham’s victory by beating Nicole Katzarkov 6-1, 6-1, despite senior Destiny Grunin falling to Amy Zammarieh 6-2, 6-2.

The Rams proceeded to travel to Amherst for their final game of the season and their final A-10 regular season matchup against Massachusetts. They immediately ran into trouble, losing the doubles point in a sweep. Ma and Wong fell to Ruth Crawford and Anna Woosley 6-2, Zobeideh and Sato fell to Ana Yrazusta and Janja Koacevic in a brutal 6-0 shutout and Balce and Sa dropped their set to Brittany Collens and Laura Moreno 6-4.

Singles play did not fare much better; Ma notched one of the two wins Fordham managed this match against Janja Koacevic 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, coming back from losing the first set. However, Wong proceeded to lose to Ruth Crawford in two 6-2 sets, and Balce fell to Ana Yrazusta 7-6 (2-0), 6-0. Sato earned Fordham’s only other victory against Anna Woosley 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, but Fordham ended the day with two more defeats. Insogna was beaten by Laura Moreno 6-4, 5-7, 6-3, while Grunin fell to Tami Comins 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.

Fordham’s women’s tennis team ends the season with an 18-3 record; despite the loss against Massachusetts, they ripped through the middle of the season with 17 consecutive wins. With an experienced tennis team consisting of only one freshman in Maia Balce, the Rams look ready to make a deep run in the A-10 Championship, which they will be attending next in Florida from April 26-30.