Fordham XC Races at Fiasco

Fordham XC Races at Fiasco

From L to R for Fordham: Laurel Fisher, Kate McCormack and Kelsey Coppinger. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Emmanuel Berbari

There was a noticeable autumnal feel in the air on Saturday morning at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, which played host to the 37th annual Fordham Fiasco/Ed Joyce Memorial Meet. 14 men’s and 13 women’s teams highlighted the competition, with the women kicking off the action at 9:30 a.m. and the men following at 10:00 a.m.

The Rams placed third out of six teams on the women’s side and third out of five teams in men’s.

“I feel that the team did well [Saturday], especially since we ran without some of our top guys,” said freshman men’s standout Giancarlo Cipri. “The race was a great starting point for all of us.”

Cipri was the star of the five-mile run for the Rams, placing 14th-best in 27:04.60. Fellow freshman Will Whelan was close behind in 16th, finishing in 27:19.79. Manhattan College’s John Dove won the race outright in 26:16.55.

“It is definitely a bit overwhelming coming in and racing as a freshman,” Cipri said when asked of his immediate impact. “But, at the end of the race, it is an accomplishment to know that the work I put in pays off.”

On the women’s side, sophomore Katarzyna Krzyzanowski held her own in the 5K race for Fordham, placing in fifth in 19:15.06. Junior Kate McCormack finished slightly behind Krzyzanowski, coming in seventh place in 19:18.06. The Jaspers’ Lisa Fajardo was the first-place finisher by a sizable margin, coming in at 18:24.09.

Among the Division I competition, Manhattan, with a score of 37 points, collectively won the women’s meet, with the Princeton Tigers (52) ending the day as the runner-up. The Jaspers came out victorious in the men’s meet as well, finishing the team competition with a mere 20 points. Rutgers (36) finished a fairly close second. Fordham, who collected 85 points as a unit, were a distant third.

At last year’s Fordham Fiasco, the men’s and women’s teams placed second and third, respectively. This year’s performance signifies neither a step forward nor a step back from the performance level of 12 months ago.

With that said, a definitive positive that can be taken away is the impressiveness of youth on both sides. For the men and women, there was not a top finisher who has seen more than a year of action with the squad. Even without the presence of some impactful upperclassmen, the Rams were able to turn in a respectable outcome.

The Rams look to take another step forward this Friday, Sept. 15 in the Iona Meet of Champions at Van Cortland Park.