Slattery Makes History at Lehigh

Thomas Slattery set the school record in the 8K in a time of 24:08. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Emmanuel Berbari

Fordham Cross Country was back in action this past Friday at Lehigh University, participating in the 44th Annual Paul Short Run on the Goodman Campus Cross Country Course.

The men finished 28th in the 8K, while the women placed 31st in the 6K. However, the team results were completely overshadowed by a historic individual performance.

Senior Thomas Slattery, who was profiled by The Fordham Ram just a week ago, absolutely stole the show.

The distance runner added to his long list of accolades, setting a school record in the 8K, crossing the finish line in an astonishing 24:08.

“It was invigorating,” said Slattery. “Going into this year, I knew both me and a lot of my other teammates were going to take down some records, so this will get the ball rolling for us.”

In his typical humble manner, the Long Island native had only the team and a top finish on his mind, and was notified of the achievement after the fact.

“This race had a ton of fast teams in it, and I could not have been more eager to mix it up with some of the top runners in the country,” said Slattery. “The record wasn’t on my mind until Coach Horowitz mentioned something about it after the race.”

His teammates, such as seniors Fritz Heinrich (199th in 25:28) and Louis Santelli (238th in 25:50), sophomores Ryan Kutch (60th in 24:30) and Matthew Roma (255th in 26:03) and freshmen Nicholas Raefski (234th in 25:47) and Giancarlo Cipri (263rd in 26:11), could not have been more electrified about the record-breaking performance.

“They were very excited for me,” said Slattery, “That’s a testament to how much we care about one another’s performances – both good and bad.”

“After learning Tom broke the school record, we were shocked,” said freshman Will Whelan, who also competed at the meet. “[The feat made us] both motivated and excited to compete at A-10s (Atlantic 10 Championships) and METS (Metropolitan Championships).”

On the women’s side, junior Angelina Grebe led the way for the Rams with a 124th-place finish in 21:31. Sophomore Sydney Snow was next, finishing 148th in 21:42. Sophomore Abigail Taylor (157th in 21:47),  senior Stephanie Leo (22:01), sophomore Katarzyna Krzyzanowski (22:05), and juniors Laurel Fisher (22:28) and Kate McCormack (23:22) all finished in respectable marks as well.

Fordham will be back at Van Cortlandt Park (Bronx, NY) next Friday, Oct. 13, competing in the Metropolitan Championships.