Track & Field Thrives at 2017-18 Season Opener

Two of Fordham’s eight winners represented the women’s team. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Emmanuel Berbari

Both Fordham track and field teams shifted indoors for the first day of December and the start of their respective 2017-18 campaigns this past Friday, hosting the Fordham Season Opener, a seven-team meet, in Rose Hill’s Vincent T. Lombardi Center.

Collectively, the Rams registered eight wins. On the men’s side, freshman Nikolas Reardon excelled in the high jump at 1.96m and long jump at 7.18m, junior Jared Brenn posted a 500m dash time of 1:05.86, and senior Ryan Riviere came out victorious in the pole jump at 4.57m. Reardon’s long jump mark was impressive enough to quality for IC4A.

On the women’s side, junior Aidan Moroz impressed in the 800m run, racing to a stellar time of 2:19.33, freshman Kathryn Kelly won the 300m dash in 42.08, and senior Jennifer Boerke pulled away in the 500m dash, posting an exceptional time of 1:17.23.

Team races were kind to Fordham as well, as the Rams’ 4×400 men’s and women’s relays finished their final dashes at 3:25.70 and 4:05.22, respectively.

The Ram women saw Kelly and junior Mary Kate Kenny race to second and third place finishes in the 60m dash in times of 7.80 and 7.99, respectively, and senior Laura Jaeger finish second in the 300m dash in a mere 42.22. In the 500m dash, freshman Dana Beggins placed fourth in 1:19.50, while juniors Leah Hickey (2:22.90) and Morgan Menzzasalma (2:24.44) cruised to third and fourth-place finishes in the 800m run, respectively.

Senior Brynna Harum earned a top-five finish in the mile run in a solid 5:21.63, while freshmen Germaine Harbaugh (11:07.47) and Maeve O’Connor (11:16.37) stacked up second and fourth in the 3,000m run, respectively.

In specialty races, freshman Anais Karagianni (8.93) was the runner-up in the 60m hurdles, junior Neve Devine finished just short of first place in the high jump in 1.65m and third in the long jump in 5.26m and freshman Sarinnagh Budris placed fifth (5.22m) and junior Adrianna Batista finished fourth in the weight throw (12.03m).

For the Ram men, freshman Anthony Misko, who posted a notable time of 1:06.05, finished second in the 500m dash; fellow freshman Dylan Serino and veteran senior Byrne Cronin took third and fourth in the 800m run in 2:03.43 and 2:04.01, respectively; freshman Eric Cao crossed third in the 60m hurdles in 9.05 seconds, sophomore Patrick Donahue completed his third-place mile in just 4:34.95; sophomore Andrew Byrne finished second in the high jump at 1.93m; and freshmen Henry Nouss and Patrick Sawyer shared fourth-place in the pole vault at 3.96m each. In the triple jump, Reardon and Byrne, with second and third-place marks of 13.34 and 11.89, respectively, made noise once again.

Fordham will be back in action at St. John’s University Thursday, Dec. 7, competing at the Red Storm Invitational. Competition will commence at 6:30 p.m.