USG Welcomes New Semester

USG Welcomes New Semester

(Courtesy of Kevin Stoltenborg/The Fordham Ram)

By Sarah Huffman

United Student Government (USG) kicked off its first meeting of the semester by officially welcoming Fordham’s chapter of Spoon University to the club community. The prospective E-board attended the meeting to make its case and was approved for a budget this coming semester.

The e-board said its club will not only provide interesting material about food and nutrition, but also allow writers and photographers on campus to have another creative outlet.

Therese Boccini, FCRH ’20, manager of Fordham’s chapter of Spoon University, said USG was helpful during the club-approval process.

“This semester, we’re looking forward to welcoming new members and producing more content that celebrates food, along with working with local business and possibly other clubs on campus for some cool collaborations,” she said.

USG Executive President Brian Reardon, FCRH ’18, opened the meeting with words of encouragement for the coming semester.

“We’re excited to keep up on the initiatives we started last semester and looking forward to the future to see different ways we can branch into different under-utilized departments within the university,” he said.

Reardon specifically mentioned Career Services as an under interacted department. “There are members of FCRH that don’t necessarily use use career services as much as they could. How do we put ourselves into that situation where we can get students to have better interactions with them?” he said.

The senate also discussed next week’s special elections. The positions of Senator GSB 2019, Senator FCRH 2020, Senator FCRH 2021 and Vice President of Finance are open. The special elections will take place at the USG meeting on Thursday, Jan. 25 at 5:30 p.m. Anyone interested in those positions are encouraged to run for the slots.

Domenic Setaro, FCRH ’20, spoke about the new Queens Court POD location on behalf of the dining committee. In addition to speaking on the new offerings of the POD location, Setaro also spoke about the plastic bag initiative to reduce use of plastic bags around campus.

Because the POD location is now a convenience store, people may need bags to carry multiple items and the initiative will now be more focused on other establishments around campus, according to Setaro.

During the various vice presidents’ updates, vice presidents referenced the success of the spring club fair as well as a winter blanket drive held by the Dean’s Council.