Track and Field Soars at Gotham Cup

+%0AFordham%E2%80%99s+Track+and+Field+teams+competed+in+the+NYC+Gotham+Cup+last+weekend.+%28Courtesy+of+Fordham+Athletics%29%0A

Track and Field Soars at Gotham Cup

Fordham’s Track and Field teams competed in the NYC Gotham Cup last weekend. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Emmanuel Berbari

Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex played host to the NYC Gotham Cup in Staten Island, New York this past Friday, where the Fordham Rams saw two standout performers race to record-setting marks.

Senior Louis Santelli and junior Mary Kate Kenny made Fordham history, breaking school records in the 1,000-meter run and 60-meter dash, respectively.

Santelli ran 1,000 meters in an astounding 2:25.80, while Kenny bested her previous 60-meter record in 7.79 seconds.
“It felt fantastic,” said Santelli. “The record holder before me [Ryan Polo] was my idol freshman year, so to take down his record is really amazing to me.”

As for Kenny, making school history was no unfathomable task.

“Amazingly, she broke the record two times, once in the trials and again in the finals,” said Santelli. “MK has been setting new heights for the women’s sprint team at Fordham since she stepped foot on campus.”

Individual performances were not the only significant takeaway from the event.

At the later relay events, the men’s and women’s ‘A’ distance medley teams both came away victorious with times of 10:06.00 and 12:34.17, respectively. Additionally, the men’s squad ran away from the pack in the 4×800 relay with 8:01.29, while the women were runners-up with 9:33.30.

“Personally, I think this is the best team we have had at Fordham in the four years I have been here,” said Santelli. “I expect to see a lot more of Fordham’s records shaken up before the end of the season.”

Additional notable performances on the men’s side included freshman Giancarlo Cipri’s fifth-place finish (8:52.70) in the 3,000-meter run, sophomore Sean Sullivan’s eigth-place finish (2:32.63) in the 1,000-meter run, freshman Anthony Misko’s ninth-place finish (49.64) in the 400-meter dash, senior Fritz Heinrich and sophomore Ryan Kutch’s fourth (4:16.78) and fifth-place (4:18.03) finishes in the mile and freshman Christopher Strzelinski’s seventh-place (1:58.06) mark in the 800-meter run. Senior Ryan Riviere also stood out on the stat sheet, finishing second in the pole vault with 4.35 meters cleared.

There were other standout individual performances on the women’s side. Freshman Anais Karagianni’s time of 9.02 in the 60-meter hurdles, which was good for fifth place. Senior Stephanie Leo’s 10:40.67 time in the 3,000-meter run was formidable enough for a seventh-place finish. Junior Angelina Grebe’s also placed in seventh with a time of 5:09.35 and junior Blake Elwood had a 10th-place time of 5:12.85 in the mile. Senior Brynna Harum earned a fifth-place nod, while sophomore Katarzyna Krzyzanowski finished with a seventh-place clip and junior Laurel Fisher came in ninth in the 1,000-meter run.

On the field, freshman Kathryn Kelly’s jump of 5.44m earned third-place honors and junior Neve Devine tied for ninth with 1.55m cleared.

The Rams will be back in action at Boston University this Friday, when they partake in the Terrier Classic.