Track Impresses at Metropolitan Championship

Fordham Track and Field Competes at 2018 Metropolitan Championship this past weekend. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Emmanuel Berbari

Fordham Track and Field put together an impressive showing at the 2018 Metropolitan Championship, with the men placing third and the women ranking sixth at Staten Island’s Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex.

On the women’s side, junior Mary Kate Kenny broke a school record once again—yes, it was her own—racing to a fourth-place finish in the 60-meter dash in 7.68 seconds, a tenth of a second ahead of her previous best.

Impressive individual performances for the men included sophomore Ryan Kutch’s gap-widening time of 14:31.76 in the 5,000-meter run, senior Brian Cook’s stellar 4:12.60 mile time, senior Louis Santelli’s victory in the 1,000-meter run in 2:27.65 and senior Thomas Slattery’s dominant win in the 3,000-meter run in 8:25.65. All four marks were IC4A championship-qualifying.

“Brian, Louis and Tom can always be counted on and are crucial to the backbone of the team,” said Kutch. “All three of them are natural leaders and work as hard as possible. This is clear to anyone who sees their superior work ethic.”

Other top five finishes included freshman Anthony Misko’s fourth-place finish in the 500-meter run (1:05.50), junior Sean Phillips’ fourth-place clip in the 1,000-meter run (2:29.19), senior Ryan Riviere’s third-place result in the pole vault (4.40m), sophomore Andrew Byrne’s fifth-place standing in the high jump (1.94m) and sophomore Jeremy Milite’s fifth-place finish in the heptathlon (3,327 points).

“Upperclassmen on the team have been the main factor [in] getting results,” said Kutch. “This is due to how hard they train in practice and their leadership roles, including the captain Michael Campbell.”

The Rams came away winners in the 4×800 relay, as a team of Cook, Santelli, Phillips and senior Fritz Heinrich posted an IC4A-qualifying time of 7:44.47.
For the women, senior Merissa Wright, junior Aidan Moroz, junior Laurel Fisher and junior Angelina Grebe registered a three-peat, as the team its 4×800 relay title for a third straight year in an ECAC-qualifying time of 9:21.13.

Additionally, Grebe (17.44:58) and junior Abigail Taylor (17:55.25) recorded third and fourth-place finishes, respectively. In the 5,000-meter run, junior Kate McCormack (2:57.88) and Fisher (2:58.89) stacked up third and fifth, respectively. In the 1,000-meter run, Kate Kenny (25.28) earned fifth in the 200-meter dash and Taylor (10:17.04) impressed to the tune of a fourth-place nod in the 3,000-meter run.

Collectively, Rutgers cruised in the men’s competitions with a stellar score of 163.5, with Manhattan (140.5), Fordham (91), Stony Brook (66.5) and Columbia (58) finishing within the top five.

Rutgers came out victorious in the women’s competitions with a score of 171. St. John’s (139.5), Columbia (103), Stony Brook (73) and Manhattan (67.5) came up short, with Fordham (67) racking up a respectable mark as well.

Fordham will be back in action this weekend for the Valentine’s Day Classic, which will be held on Friday and Saturday at Boston University.