Gabelli Senior Embraces Greek Roots

Gabelli Senior Embraces Greek Roots

Business student Stella Kovoros, GSB ‘19, is an intern at Merill Lynch and president of the Fordahm Hellenic Society (Courtesy of Stella Kovoros).

By Erin Clewell

You will rarely catch Stella Kovoros, GSB ’19, taking a break. On track to graduate in December, — a semester earlier than other students in her class — Stella is a level-headed, strong and passionate student.

As a business administration major with a double concentration in finance and marketing, Stella has a lot on her plate academically.

With an internship at Merrill Lynch under her belt as well, Stella is set for a successful career in the future.

Outside of her classes, Kovoros is a teaching assistant for a Ground Floor business class. She is also a member of the Boyle Scholars Program, which requires both volunteering around campus and tutoring students.

On top of that, Kovoros is a member of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship club. “I got really involved with volunteering which led me to this club,” she said.

“We have our own study center here at Fordham. They are really open and welcome even though it is a Jesuit school.”

As the service coordinator, Kovoros says that one of the most successful endeavors for this group has been its volunteer work in Harlem.

“We go once a month to the homeless shelter there. We have developed a really deep relationship with the woman who opened it,” she said.

“Even though she is homeless, she coordinates this homeless shelter that gets groceries every Sunday and creates a soup kitchen every Wednesday. So we go and help out with that.”

Kovoros is also the president of the Fordham Hellenic Society. This popular student organization on campus hosts a range of events.

Throughout the fall and spring semesters, the organization manages to stay active. “We do a lot of cultural events, whether it be going to Greek establishments or practicing Greek folk dancing,” she said.

The organization’s most notable event is the annual Greek Cultural Night. The club hosts 450 students, faculty, family and friends in a night of dance, food and drinks. It spends months planning this celebration and, this year, Kovoros is in charge.

Kovoros’ passion for her Greek heritage has encouraged her to remain close with the Greek Orthodox religion that she was raised with.

“Growing up, I always had school friends, but I always had my Greek community too,” Kovoros said. “It’s nice to have a community built in.”

While Stella keeps herself busy with her rigorous schedule, she also loves to spend time with friends and makes sure to find time for herself. People around campus know her for being outgoing and bubbly with a magnetic energy. She is everyone’s friend.

This summer, Stella was able to get in touch with her heritage. She traveled to Greece, specifically the Peloponnese Mountains, to work at the Ionian Village Camp as a counselor.

“We have our own campsite there,” said Kovoros. “It’s supposed to be a catch-all experience.” And it is.

With no available internet access and only a payphone to contact home, Stella fully immersed herself in the surrounding Greek culture while also leading high school campers.

Along with regular camp activities such as swimming, crafts and sports, the camp focuses on deepening campers’ faith through prayer and Orthodox traditions.

Besides staying on the campsite, the campers simultaneously visit other parts of the surrounding area.

“It was really amazing. We totally toured Greece,” said Kovoros. “So we went island hopping, we visited a lot of monasteries and churches, and several beaches.”

What sounds like the most incredible experience comes with a competitive application process. Hundreds of people across the U.S. applied for Stella’s position, and only 35 made the cut.

When I asked if she would do it again next year, Kovoros became a bit nostalgic: “I would go back in a heartbeat if I could, but I want other people to experience it. It was incredible.”

Stella is incredibly active in her classes, in her personal friendships and in the Greek community. Fordham is truly going to miss her after this December.

Business student Stella Kovoros, GSB ‘19, is an intern at Merrill Lynch and president of the Fordham Hellenic Society (Courtesy of Stella Kovoros).