PCS Student Agreement Reached

PCS Student Agreement Reached

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

By Sarah Huffman

(Photo courtesy of USG)

This past Thursday, United Student Government (USG) Executive President Connor Sullivan, FCRH ’19, informed the Senate that a resolution has been reached concerning School of Professional and Continuing Studies (PCS) students and their involvement in campus activities.

Sullivan said Student Affairs, PCS and Military Affairs reached an agreement this summer that PCS students would pay an activity fee of $10 per semester. USG will receive an additional $2,570 in funds to allow the PCS student to join clubs and organizations, according to Sullivan. Because Lincoln Center has more PCS students than Rose Hill does, it will receive more money from this agreement.

The process of negotiating this deal started last semester when USG was contacted by a member of Fordham Veterans Association (FVA) regarding PCS students’ involvement in undergraduate clubs and activities. Vice President of Fordham College Rose Hill Patrick Fox, FCRH ’20, subsequently continued to work on the initiative.

“PCS is unique in that many of the students are not that different in age than undergraduate students,” said Sullivan. “So many felt as though they were missing out on a very crucial aspect of college: campus involvement.”

During the public comment period, Vice President of Sustainability Gabby Perez, FCRH ’21, asked about possibly transplanting the trees in front of McGinley instead of cutting them down when construction on the new McGinley Center begins. Assistant Dean for Student Involvement and USG Advisor Cody Arcuri said that they have already voiced people’s concerns about the trees.

Arcuri offered a few more details concerning the ideas for the new McGinley Center project. Currently, Fordham is exploring possibilities for the space. The new building would not necessarily be connected to the old one, and a green space between the two is also under consideration, according to Arcuri.

As of now, the university plans to renovate the current building. The current McGinley Center has good square footage, but over years of renovations, it has become a maze, according to Arcuri.

Some of the ideas that came up for renovations included a more organized section of the building for club suites, more space for dining and more student lounge space. Arcuri said the project still has to secure funding and that the timeline is about five years.