An Anectodal, Teary-Eyed Goodbye

Courtesy of Julia Comerford/The Fordham Ram

By Erin Clewell

I was nestled on a beat-up couch with some of my closest friends a few weeks ago. We were talking about leaving Fordham’s campus and how bizarre it is to think that we will no longer be constantly surrounded by the people we have become familiar with. The waterworks began, and I had to momentarily step out of the room to regain my composure. It boils down to the fact that I just don’t want to leave. Between the confusion, stress and craziness, we all find times to come together, and being a part of this community has been one of the most positive aspects of my Fordham experience.

There was one moment at the very beginning of my Fordham career that cemented the feeling of community at Fordham for me. It was the first week of classes and I was headed to my first day of Faith and Critical Reasoning in Keating Hall. I, along with a couple of other eager freshmen, confidently walked up to the front door of Keating and began to push and pull. The door did not budge. We were concerned—how were we going to get to class? Thankfully, some helpful upperclassmen came up the stairs and asked if we needed assistance. They enlightened us by showing us the magical side doors that are always open for classes. They said they had made this mistake too and advised us not to worry—this was a regular occurrence amongst the freshman class. I smiled and entered the building.

A couple of months later, a random classmate became a best friend when we both underestimated the labor and time required to write a 15 page paper with over 100 in-text citations. What better way to bond than a feeling of dread and a stressful all-nighter? We each galvanized the other to keep working and to complete it on time. I learned a great deal about time-management and initiated a wonderful friendship that night.

Later that year, there was a tremendous snow storm, and the dorm residents were stranded in their respective dorm buildings. What could have been a disastrous weekend ultimately became a time of enjoyable friendship-building. We were simply content to have each other. By exchanging items and offering assistance, we all became closer. Sake II took numerous hours to deliver that weekend, but patience became a theme as we all were forced to wait out our conditions.

One night at the beginning of this year, all of my friends were going out and celebrating the start of senior year. I had production night at The Ram. Rather than be disappointed, I loved it. I would not have wanted to spend that time, and every other Tuesday night, any other way. So many bright minds come together on production nights to collaborate and create.

I am consistently astounded by the high-caliber work that is produced by the talented members of this team. We all shared stories about the summer and plans for the upcoming school year that night. It sunk in that this was it. I was reminded of this feeling again later that night when I went to catch up with my friends afterward. We all sat around the beat-up couch and it led to the tears that I mentioned.

So many memories and friendships have been established and strengthened within the iron gates of the Rose Hill campus. So thinking back, I have plenty of reasons to cry. Remaining level-headed is difficult when the sentimentality of it all creeps in sometimes. I know that my time at Fordham has taught me to not only enjoy those around me, but also to contribute to this campus’ cooperative and supportive environment. All of these instances serve to remind me just how important those around me have been.

Just last week, there was an Open House for prospective students. A girl was quizzically scanning one of the maps on campus. Upon asking if she needed help, she inquired where Keating Hall is located. After pointing her in the right direction, I called out to her to give the advice I had learned as a newbie on campus: “the side doors are definitely the way to go, much better entrance success rate.” I just hope she has the opportunity to be at Fordham and help the next student, too.