USG Addresses Week of Action, Dining Committee and International Integration

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

(Photo courtesy of USG)

By Sarah Huffman

(Photo courtesy of USG)

This past Thursday at the United Student Government (USG) meeting, Vice President of Health and Security Nate Singh, FCRH ’20, presented a necessary supply budget for the Week of Action. The senate passed the $450 budget Singh requested. The Week of Action will occur at the end of October and it brings awareness to sexual misconduct and assault across college campuses, according to Singh.

Singh said activities for the week include the clothesline project that will be displayed on the walkway outside of McGinley, which requires materials such as t-shirts and clothespins.

Another activity Singh said would occur is candy and consent, an activity where organizers will hand out candy and give people information about consent.

Head of the Dining Committee Margaret Rothfus, FCRH ’20, updated the senate concerning the bugs recently seen in the dining hall. Rothfus said she emailed Aramark and made it clear that she wants a quick response. She said she has a meeting with dining services soon. Rothfus explained that the dining hall has a full time hygiene specialist and an exterminator that comes in regularly. Rothfus reminded the senate that if they see anything questionable in the dining hall, they should take a picture and tell her.

Michael Tomicich, GSB ’20, head of the International Integration Committee, said he found an example of a resume and cover letter from career services to give international students tips. At last week’s meeting, Vice President of Communications Roderick Perez, GSB ’20, asked Assistant Director of Career Services and Technology Kasey Fausak about special services to help international students network and get internships and jobs. He said it is harder for them to utilize the club fair and its resources because they have to worry about sponsorships and work visas.

The senate also chose an item to donate to the Commuter Students Association (CSA) event Thanksgiveaway. They decided to donate a 30 minute session for the Wrecking Room and a peak Metro North pass.

Vice President of Operations Olivia Quartell, FCRH ’21, updated the senate, saying she received new club applications and that hopefully there will be a club presentation coming up. She also said she is trying to work on getting commuters more involved with clubs.

Vice President of Sustainability Gabrielle Perez, FCRH ’21, said Sustainability Week programming is this week, Monday through Friday, in her update. She said they are trying to spread the word as much as possible. The senate discussed different ways for everyone to get the word out about the sustainability focused events, including the screen in front of McGinley.