RHA, FDM Hosts Costumed Trick or Treat Trot 5K

FDM hosted the Trick or Treat Trot, a 5K race and fundraiser for pediatric cancer research held on Tuesday evening in front of the McGinley Center. (Photo courtesy of Joergen Ostensen)

By: Joergen Ostensen

Many students came in costume to Fordham Dance Marathon’s (FDM) Trick or Treat Trot, a 5K race and fundraiser for pediatric cancer research held on Tuesday evening in front of McGinley Center. This year, according to FDM’s Co-Executive Director Jacklyn Onody, GSB ’20, FDM is not publicly stating its fundraising goal. However, she said at this point they have already accomplished 12 percent of it.
FDM raised a total of $101,643 over the course of last year and Onody said they hope to raise more this year.

Some donated five dollars to FDM and participated in the 5K while others came to cheer them on.
One of the people watching the race was Aniya, who is almost 10 years old and has been diagnosed with pediatric cancer. She came to the event in a wheelchair and dressed up as Harley Quinn for Halloween, with a big bucket of candy in her lap.

She is one of FDM’s heroes, children who Fordham students are able to develop relationships with through the Andrew McDonough B+ foundation.
Onody said she met Aniya during her freshman year. According to Onody, this is her second time at the Trick or Treat Trot.

“She’s really great,” Onody said.

Aniya, her family and other members of FDM participated in a fun run around Edwards Parade, according to Onody.

Onody said she thought the event was a big success because people were able to enjoy themselves.

“We just want get people out and have a good time, spread some cheer,” she said.

She said she hoped the Trick or Treat Trot inspires more people to get involved with FDM because it will allow them to get to know more heroes like Aniya.

Jeremiah Lo Duca, FCRH ’22, won the race. He was excited to finish first after speeding up at the last turn.

“I’m doing it for the kids,” he said. “Just to see someone run is good.”

Samantha Barrett, GSB ’21, came to the event dressed in a homemade Yoshi costume for Halloween. She is a part of Fordham’s Residence Halls

Association (RHA) and helped to put on fun activities around the starting point of the race. The new activities this year included donuts on a string, make your own slime and a photo booth.

She said supporting FDM is an opportunity to make a difference.

“These kids are important to me and this cause is important to me,” she said.

Brianna Miller, FCRH ’21, is also a member of RHA. She said she came out for the kids even though she was unable to run in the race.

“I just think it’s really important that people are aware of what FDM is,” she said. “It’s a really good cause.”

FDM gives its donations to the B+ foundation, which allocates the money to families affected by pediatric cancer.

Patrick Sawyer, FCRH ’21, ran in the race. He said he ran because 46 kids get diagnosed with cancer everyday and that is 46 more than there should be.

He also said he enjoyed running around campus in the brisk October air.

“It’s always a good day to run,” he said.