Men’s Basketball Suffers Surprising Loss to Houston-Baptist

After a win over CCNY to open the season, Fordham suffered a debilitating loss to Houston-Baptist to drop to 1-1. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Jack McLoone

After a dominant 106-58 win over the Division III Beavers of the City College of New York, Fordham Men’s Basketball ran into a level opponent on the road at Houston Baptist University on Sunday. The Rams dropped the back-and-forth contest 75-72, putting them at 1-1 on the season.

Freshman Chris Austin kicked off the Rams’ season with a three to open the matchup against CCNY. He once again started the scoring against HBU, this time with a dunk. However, a three for the Huskies’ Oliver Lynch-Daniels put them on top, where they remained until the eight-minute mark of the half.

The Rams finally got back on top on a layup by senior Jesse Bunting to go up 22-21 with about eight minutes left. The Rams had been down as much as eight before cutting it to one, but the Huskies fought back to push it up to seven before the Rams finally supplanted them.

From that point on, there were three ties and four more lead changes. When the halftime whistle blew, the Rams were sitting on top at 41-36.

A three from freshman Nick Honor to open the second half pushed Fordham’s lead to eight, its biggest of the game. However, by the 15-minute mark, the game had swung back into the Huskies favor when a layup from Edward Hardt gave HBU the lead. In the words of Spinal Tap, they turned the lead up to 11 with 11:06 remaining.

Once again, the Rams were able to storm back and take the lead by one with just under seven minutes left on a jumper from freshman Ty Perry, 62-61. Including that basket, there were five lead changes and one tie over the next four plus minutes. However, the Huskies ended up back on top after an offensive flurry, beginning with a layup from Hardt with 2:25 left. The Huskies were up 69-67.

Both teams spent the next two minutes allergic to scoring, with the Rams missing two threes. With 29 seconds left, Perry fouled the Huskies’ leading scorer, Ian DuBose, who hit both free throws. Perry answered with a three to draw it back within one with 20 seconds left, but the Rams needed the Huskies to miss free throws to have a chance. They did not, hitting their next four free throws, despite Honor cutting it to one with just four seconds remaining.

Two more free throws from DuBose set the final score, 75-72.

Through two games, it is clear that freshmen are going to lead this team.

After leading the Rams in scoring with 22 points against CCNY, the freshman Perry did exactly the same again on Sunday, though this time in a losing effort. He continued to be efficient from deep, hitting six of his eight three-point attempts.

He was joined atop the box score by Honor for the second time in as many games as well, with Honor hitting four of his eight threes, plus two field goals, to rack up 14 points.

Also worth noting for Fordham is junior transfer Antwon Portley filling up the stat sheet, both for good and bad reasons. He scored just eight points on 3-10 shooting, but pulled down five rebounds. He had a game-high eight assists, but also five turnovers.

HBU’s DuBose led all scorers, with his final two game-icing free throws giving him 23 points.

Due to a quirk in the Rams’ schedule, their matchup with CCNY to open the season is considered a part of the Johnny Bach Classic, which will continue this weekend in the Rose Hill Gym. Their first game is against Florida International University at 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 16.