Looking Back, Looking Ahead

The Fordham Ram celebrated a lot during Volume 100. Informing the university community for a century is, after all, no insignificant task.
Rather, this role is a tremendous responsibility and privilege—one that tethers our current masthead to all of the dedicated editors and contributors who came before us, setting the groundwork that we continue to build upon, semester after semester.

In looking back at the past calendar year, the editorial board is filled with deep gratitude for all of the people who made this celebrated volume possible, as well as a great sense of optimism about the second century of journalism that will soon commence.

Over the course of Volume 100, our team of student journalists continued to report on the issues we face as a country, community and campus.
We elucidated the truth and wrote calls to action. We bore witness and sought accountability. We addressed situations as they arose, both nationally and hyper-locally.

Our editorials are our voice, but our coverage is our legacy. And we are proud of what we have produced over the past 22 issues.

We have contributed an equitable portion to the long-standing history of The Fordham Ram, just as every volume that came before us has. Hopefully, our collective voice breathes life into Volume 101 and all other the volumes that follow.

In reflecting on the topics we wrote about at length during Volume 100, we were surprised by how distant even groundbreaking news can seem, regardless of whether it unfolded at Fordham or on a national scale.

The importance of coverage often gets mitigated when it is considered en masse, but, just as we affirmed when discussing news fatigue earlier this semester, it is crucial to recall what’s in the rearview mirror—especially in polarizing times.

Specific controversy and contention may wax and wane, but the deep-rooted ideologies that motivate so many acts of malice never truly dissipate.
Without sustained pressure and reflection from a vigilant press, we cannot see change, whether it be political, administrative or cultural.

This is the message that we, as the editorial board of The Fordham Ram, have continually worked to convey.

While we focused on the issue at hand (publishing a newspaper every week), the momentous occasion of the 100th volume has also afforded us the opportunity to interact with the long-standing tradition of journalism at Fordham.

In including centennial spreads between the pages of our contemporary coverage, we were able to consider the legacy of journalism at Fordham with newfound admiration.

Reexamining the breadth of our past reporting has helped inform our present coverage, and we are hopeful that future reflection will inform the coverage to come.

While journalism is continuously maligned and discredited, Volume 100 has been a reminder that The Fordham Ram, and the field as a whole, still matters.

We care deeply because journalism is a public service. We push the envelope because the truth demands it. We value our coverage because it establishes the standard for our successors.

In bidding farewell to The Fordham Ram, the editorial board wishes the absolute best for the incoming Volume 101 staff. We know the Fordham community is in good hands.