Men’s Tennis Success Continues Against Sacred Heart

Fordham Men’s Tennis continued its hot start to the spring season this past weekend. (Roderick Perez/The Fordham Ram)

By Dylan Balsamo

Fordham Men’s Tennis has made incredible strides since beginning of the spring, and that streak continued this weekend with another victory against Sacred Heart University. The squad entered knowing this meet was an important one, as junior Fabian Hansch Mauritzson has said that this would be an “important match” for the team. He called Sacred Heart an “extremely tough opponent” and said the Rams needed “to continue their stride” this weekend. And so they did.

The match began slowly for Fordham as they dropped the doubles point in the opening. After sophomore Max Green and junior Finn Kemper defeated Omar Abdo and Seiji Hosokowa 7-5, Sacred Heart took the other two matches, with Mauritzson and sophomore Lutwin de Macar dropping to Lucca Casalduc Pla and William Wibmer 7-5 and junior Allen Thornes and freshman Jofre Segarra dropping their bout with Chris Sause and Francisco Del Valle 6-2.

Singles began sluggishly for Fordham as well; after Mauritzson beat Hosokowa 6-2, 7-5, Green lost to Wibmer 6-4, 6-4. Then, the Rams took control.

De Macar’s 6-2, 5-7, 11-9 defeat of Casalduc Pla evened the score, and the Rams took every match that followed. Kemper shut out Sause with a clean sweep of 6-0, 6-0, and sophomore Alex Makatsaria’s win over Bryan Einstoss clinched the Rams’ win over Sacred Heart. The exclamation point came when junior Jeremy Chung’s 6-3, 6-1 win over Abdo capped off another successful evening for Fordham.

Up next: a week off for the Rams. They hope to stay on their hot streak, as the week after comes another tough battle with Hofstra comes the week after.