Swimming Finishes Competition at A-10s

Swimming Finishes Competition at A-10s

It was an up-and-down Atlantic 10 tournament for the Fordham swimming team.(Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

By Dominic Capone

The Atlantic 10 Championship is over at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio. The Fordham men’s swimming and diving team came in last place, finishing eighth out of the eight teams that competed. The women, on the other hand, finished third out of eleven teams.

The men, despite the poor overall effort, put up season-best performances throughout the tournament.

Sophomore Danny McGowan raced a season-best time of 16:02.32, finishing 11th in the 1650 freestyle, while junior Christopher Sleutjes finished in 13th at 16:07.78.

Sophomore Scott Stern placed 16th overall in his season-best time of 1:51.93 in the 200m backstroke, good enough to make the “B” final.

Junior swimmer Joseph Vizza won the “B” final in the 100-freestyle with a season best time of 45.08. Vizza was also a part of the the 400-freestyle relay team with senior Travis Monahan, freshman Spencer Clarke and freshman A.J Frakes. The four teammates took eighth place in 3:03.26.

On the women’s side, after day one they were in second place before dropping to fourth on day two. Finally, they settled in third, where they would remain the final two days.

Fordham just finished in third place, holding off Richmond by two and a half points.

Sophomore Bayley Frierson took fifth place in the 1650 freestyle, with a season-best time of 16.53.52, while sophomore Kate Magill took 11th in 17:12.50.

Junior Paulina Watson and junior Cat Alabanza continued the scoring for Fordham, coming in fourth and 11th with times of 1:59.45 and 2:03.00, respectively.

The women earned quite a few awards on the year, starting with First Team All-Atlantic 10 consisting of sophomore Caitlin McNary in the 500 freestyle, graduate student Milly Furneaux 100 breaststroke and sophomore Michelle Martin, freshman Kiara Noris, senior Tara Brunner along with Furneaux in the 200 medley relay.

For the Second Team All-Atlantic 10, Brunner made it in the 50 and 100 freestyle along with the 100 butterfly. Brunner also was a part of two relay teams honored. Michelle Martin, sophomore Caitlyn McNary and junior Theresa Mullen for the 200 freestyle relay and the same group for the 400 freestyle relay.

Throughout the season, the women broke a few school records as well. Tara Brunner broke the school record for the 50 freestyle with a time of 22.97 while also breaking the record for the 100 freestyle in 49.74.