CAB Announces Ellie Kemper as Spring Weekend Speaker 2019

By Helen Stevenson

Actress and comedian Ellie Kemper will step outside the screen as this year’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) Spring Weekend Speaker. Kemper is known for her work on “The Office” and “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” streaming on Netflix.

In a joint statement to The Fordham Ram, Abby Rizzo, FCRH ’21, and Maxson Thomas, FCRH ’19, said that as co-chairs of CAB’s Speaker Series, they are always looking for a speaker that has an inspiring message to bring to Fordham.

“After last year’s successful moderated Q&A with Josh Peck, we decided to pursue candidates that would have a similar comedic and more interactive vibe,” they said. “The moderated Q&A was engaging and fun for the audience, and we figured this year could be no different.”

Rizzo and Thomas said they felt Kemper could bring a funny and dynamic Q&A to the student body. They said she could also provide students with a positive message by discussing her own experiences in Hollywood, along with her experience as a woman in comedy.

“She also has had many different roles in various popular shows and movies that we felt could reach a wider range here at Fordham,” they said. “‘The Office’ has become a staple show within the Fordham community and has a very loyal fan base.”

According to Rizzo and Thomas, they expect a successful event due to the continued relevance Kemper has among the college demographic. They believe she can bring heart and humor to the annual speaker event, and they are lucky to have her perform.

“We are looking forward to having a great night full of laughs and entertainment with Ellie,” they said. “We know that she will be bringing a positive and inspirational message to campus. We hope to see everyone there!”

The Speaker Series event with Ellie Kemper will be held in Leonard Prep Theater on Thursday, April 25, at 7 p.m.