Krispy Kreme to Open Location on Fordham Road

Krispy Kreme announced six new locations, including one on Fordham Road. (Courtesy of Flickr)

Nikolas Stanovic, Contributing Writer

Krispy Kreme is scheduled to open a location in 2020 as one of six new locations opening in the New York City area. This expansion stems from a nationwide campaign that will see 45 new locations throughout the year, according to Business Insider.

With the new location underway, some students and local residents expressed excitement.

“It will add a bit more variety to food around campus as there [isn’t] any dining area that offers fresh pastries aside from Auntie Anne’s,” said Matt Pagano, PCS ’22.

Emma Paolini, FCRH ’21, said doing Krispy Kreme fundraisers is really popular among clubs, and having one so close to Fordham will make those fundraisers a lot easier.

“My GO! project did a Krispy Kreme fundraiser last year and it was a huge hassle to go all the way to Penn Station,” she said. “Hopefully, they will be receptive to doing some kind of deal with Fordham’s clubs that makes fundraising mutually beneficial.”

Another student, Julia Corbett, FCRH ’20, said she is excited for the new Krispy Kreme opening, but wishes that it had happened earlier.

Representatives at Krispy Kreme are expecting a high turnout for the grand opening.

“(We are) prepared for at least one week of out the door and around the corner lines,” said Gerald, an employee at the 1-800 customer service line for Krispy Kreme.

Customer service representatives said that the opening date being pushed back from February to later in the year due to construction delays has resulted in a barrage of calls and inquiries to their customer service phone number, as well as their nearby locations.

Gerald also recommended students sign up on their website for rewards, as promotions for in-store discounts will begin one week prior to the grand opening.

Krispy Kreme is no stranger to expansion. The company saw rapid growth with double digit returns in the early 2000s, until the mid-2000s, according to fortune.com. Since then, the company has realigned its structure to become a subsidiary of parent company JAB Holdings.

JAB Holdings, a German conglomerate, which “includes investments in companies operating in coffee and fast food,” rivals Nestlé, one of the largest food and beverage companies in the world. JAB Holdings owns several major companies such as Panera Bread, Au Bon Pain, Pret A Manger, Peet’s Coffee and more, successfully leading the takeover of Krispy Kreme in 2016 — taking the company private shortly thereafter.