With Condom Campaign, Students Take Stand on Jesuit Campus

By MEGAN CATTEL

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Students at Georgetown University began to distribute condoms on campus, a polarizing topic in Jesuit universities. (Courtesy of Wikimedia)

At fellow Jesuit institution Georgetown University, a student group called H*yas for Choice recently launched a delivery service for free condoms at campus parties and events. An online form is available for students to fill out the location of the party, the expected size of attendance and if the hosts would prefer pick-up or delivery. The administrative response has been unexpectedly quiet, as university officials have not taken any action to disband or support the new delivery system.

H*yas for Choice has advocated for accessible birth control and contraceptives on Georgetown’s campus for several years and strives to educate the student body on issues of safe sex, sexual choice and women’s reproductive rights.

The student group has maintained yearlong visibility by offering free condoms within Georgetown’s “free-speech zone” daily, but H*yas has taken note of the necessity for further accessibility among students. Abby Grace, sophomore and vice president of the organization, said that supplies would deplete after lunch and that a more effective method needed to be in place to keep up with the demand.

Georgetown’s student response has been resoundingly positive toward the condom delivery system, as party attendees in a test run of the new service said that it promoted safe sex and responsibility. In fact, the editorial board of Georgetown Voice endorsed the service and applauded H*yas for Choice as “invaluable to the promotion of safe sexual practices.”

H*yas for Choice also does not use university funding to obtain contraceptives, but instead keeps stock through DC’s Health Department, Planned Parenthood, the Great American Condom Campaign and guest speakers. Entirely student -managed, it perseveres independently from Georgetown administrators and can run as a separate entity without needing school sanctioned approval.

“H*yas for Choice is not an organization with access to university benefits and does not use university resources,” Rachel Pugh, director of media relations at Georgetown, told Huffington Post of the delivery service. “We respect the rights of our students to join outside groups as individuals and believe this activity falls within that context.”

Would a similar phenomenon occur at Fordham any time soon? Probably not, since Fordham remains ironclad to its Catholic predominance. As United Student Government has floundered in attempting to bring about “Maroon-Square,” Fordham’s proposed version of a free-speech zone on campus, conservative influence reigns supreme at the Jesuit University of New York.

As with the contemporary pro-choice/pro-life debate, Fordham students remain largely at odds regarding the polarizing topic of contraceptives being accessible on campus.

“I understand why a Jesuit school cannot openly endorse birth control and condoms for students,” Lucca Pelliccia, FCRH ’15, said. “Yet to ban such a system is counterproductive and backwards. You are not going to stop college students from having sex.”

Some students do not share Pelliccia’s sentiment on the matter. “I think that as a Catholic university, the administration should not be allowing students to be given contraception.” William Slattery, GSB ’15 said. “The Catholic Church believes in natural family planning.”

James Florakis, FCRH ’15, echoed Slattery’s views and explained, “Jesuit universities are expected to adhere to Catholic beliefs. [Students] can easily purchase these contraceptives elsewhere if they so choose. I find it unfortunate to see Georgetown University continuously ignoring Catholic and Christian teachings by inviting strongly pro-abortion Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to speak at their Commencement ceremonies.”

Despite a clash of strong opinions on both sides of the case, Fordham only represents the pro-life argument with the Respect for Life student group on campus and without a pro-choice counterpart to offer diversity of opinion on the spectrum of sexual choice.

Monica Cleary, FCRH ’15, said that the student body should explore both sides of the coin. “To create political dialogue, we have a Democrat student group and a Republican one to reflect upon different points of view,” Cleary said. “At Fordham we encourage all to choose what [they] believe in. This should also be demonstrated within the pro-choice/pro-life issue.”

Georgetown is highly successful in doing just that by creating open dialogue and balance between its pro-life organization Right to Life and Hyas for Choice. Choice Week, Hyas’ biggest annual event of the year, creates a space for students, administrators and outside organizations including Catholics for Choice to display a broad range of opinion throughout the 7-day occasion.

“We honestly disagree on a lot of issues, but we’re happy to engage in dialogue at all times,” Right to Life Treasurer Kevin Sullivan said during Choice Week this past spring at Georgetown.

Fordham has been aching to emulate the national successes of Jesuit schools like Georgetown over the past few years, but looking inward toward student response would be a good first step to achieve the sense of openness and freedom Georgetown has captured while respecting Catholic tradition. Our football team is looking pretty great, but what about the state of student life given the stranglehold over student voice and opinion? Instead of completely shutting out the other side, Fordham should take a lesson from the nation’s oldest Catholic university to elevate the overall quality of students’ college experiences.

Megan Cattel, FCRH ’15, is an international studies major from Tampa, Fla. 

There is one comment

1. Cwelden

Did you decide to go to a Catholic institution or not? I agree with the stand taken by Fordham. I believe that BC and most other Jesuit schools are taking the same stand as Fordham.