Fall In Love with Fall in New York City

By KATHERINE MOBILIA

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Autumn is upon us, and as we all rush to class and hurry to the library, we may fail to see the beauty that surrounds us. If or when you find a break in your busy schedule, hop on Metro North or the Ram Van to various parts of New York City and enjoy nature in the middle of the concrete jungle.

The foliage surrounding Eddie’s is beautiful in autumn. Across the street from campus, the Botannical Gardens hold an annual Holiday Train show, starting Nov. 16. (Photo by Elizabeth Zanghi/The Ram)

While it may seem hard to believe, some of the most beautiful places to enjoy the autumn weather are, in fact, in the city. A favorite spot of both New Yorkers and tourists alike lies within Central Park. The entire park is a nature lover’s dream, complete with countless trees, rolling plains, rock formations and lakes. Within the lush, iconic park, Bow Bridge tends to attract those in search of serene aesthetics. Given the natural beauty of the bridge’s architecture and its idyllic surroundings, it is not surprising that Bow Bridge is one of the most filmed and photographed sites in Central Park. The water beneath the modest bridge reflects the richly colored leaves of gold, orange and red, creating a natural mosaic. This bridge makes for the perfect Kodak moment, romantic stroll or simple escape from the noisy, fast-paced, urban world outside.

Another cherished spot of mine since childhood, but truly meant for people of all ages, is The Central Park Zoo. The zoo, located close to Fifth Avenue, spans more than five acres of land and is home to more than 130 different species of animals. This zoo provides a venue for the perfect “walk in the park” experience, complete with entertaining, fascinating wildlife and a children’s zoo.

Central Park has also recently added a new program that provides visitors with a way to see the park’s awe-inspiring nature in a new and creative way. The Wild Garden: Discovering Central Park’s Woodlands is a free, hands-on exhibit that allows visitors to explore the hidden, beautiful foliage of the woodlands in Central Park.

After discovering Central Park and all its beauteous offerings, take a break from the November breeze and step into the wonderland of Serendipity 3, located at 225 East 60th St. Walk into this world renowned, yet surprisingly tiny, restaurant, take a seat among the ornate Tiffany chandeliers or the monumental stained glass windows and treat yourself to the best hot, or not so hot, chocolate you will ever taste. Serendipity’s famous “Frrrozen Hot Chocolate” will delight all taste buds in need of a seasonal pick-me-up. This frozen twist on hot chocolate is not only inventive, but also is outstanding and addictive, an ideal dessert beverage for this autumn season.

For a toastier treat, head over to the legendary Russian Tea Room, located at150 West 57th St. This gourmet restaurant may be famous for its swanky scenery and rich clientele, but the hot chocolate is cost friendly and delicious! At the Russian Tea Room, one can indulge in a warm cup of hot cocoa along with a little taste of lavish luxury.

Want to stay closer to campus? The Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo provide their own fall activities.  Starting Nov. 16, the Botanical Gardens will be holding its annual Holiday Train Show. This treasured train show is meant for any person at any age and is sure to bring out one’s inner child. As you watch countless toy trains zip around miniature towns, cities, sites and landscapes, let yourself feel the childlike, carefree spirit of your youth.

At the Bronx Zoo this fall, get in touch with your wild animal side at sea lion and penguin feedings. These activities are both cost friendly, carefree and perfect for any fall day. The Bronx Zoo is the world’s largest metropolitan zoo, spanning approximately 650 acres of land in the heart of the Bronx, so be sure to take a stroll through and experience all that the zoo has to offer.

College can be hectic and stressful, but be sure to give yourself a break. Grab a friend and enjoy the fall season at the multiple beautiful sites that Manhattan, the Bronx and the rest of New York City have to offer.