Football to Face Sacred Heart at Home in FCS First Round

By DAN GARTLAND
EXECUTIVE SPORTS EDITOR

For the first time since 2007, Fordham will be playing postseason football.

After completing an 11-1 regular season with a 56-19 victory over Colgate Saturday, the Rams earned an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs. They will face the Sacred Heart Pioneers at Jack Coffey Field this coming Saturday, Nov. 30, at 1 p.m.

Head coach Joe Moorhead said it was “very exciting, very gratifying” to hear Fordham’s name announced during the FCS selection show on ESPNU.

He added: “It’s a culmination of a year’s worth of hard work, effort and persistence. I’m happy see those guys excited, because they’ve earned it.”

His sentiments were echoed by his players.

“Words can’t even describe it,” redshirt senior running back Carlton Koonce said. “It’s unreal. To see your name up there and get the recognition that you deserve, that you played hard for, it’s awesome.”

The only blemish on Fordham’s season is a 27-14 loss to Lafayette two weeks ago.

“Of course we didn’t want to lose but maybe it did teach us something — that we have to stay clicking,” senior cornerback Ian Williams said. “I think this win [against Colgate] is going to keep pushing us on.”

Sacred Heart also played Lafayette this season, beating the Leopards, 26-24, on Sept. 7 with a field goal as time expired.

Mike Nebrich, the Rams’ stellar quarterback, did not play in Fordham’s loss to Lafayette due to a knee injury. He returned this week to lead Fordham over Colgate, throwing for 395 yards and five touchdowns.

The Rams now set their sights on the Northeast Conference champion Pioneers. Fordham’s first-round matchup was announced shortly before noon, and the coaching staff got right to work breaking down the tape. Moorhead said he had seen a little bit of Sacred Heart while preparing Fordham’s games against Lafayette and St. Francis (Pa.), who also faced the Pioneers.

“I know they’re 10-2 and they’ve beaten our league champion,” Moorhead said of Sacred Heart. “I know they’ve got a big, strong running back. Their quarterback is a guy that can run around a little bit and I know they’ve got one really good receiver.”

Sacred Heart’s 10-2 record includes wins over Division II teams Chowan and Lincoln (Pa.), with the Pioneers’ two losses coming to St. Francis (Pa.) and Wagner.

Sacred Heart ranks tenth in the FCS in total defense, and its offense is 13th in rushing yards per game. Fordham’s rushing defense, meanwhile, ranks 91st in the FCS.

The winner of Saturday’s game will go on to face Towson on the road, Dec. 7.

“We’re excited, we’re pumped, we’re ready to play,” junior receiver Brian Wetzel said. “The only goal that we have left is to win a national championship.”

Wetzel isn’t the only one talking about a national title.

“This is what you play for,” Koonce said. “You’re not practicing to be just average, just OK. You always want to challenge for the national championship. You play to be the best. If you’re not trying to be the best, then there’s no point in doing what you’re doing. Everybody has to buy in; everybody has to have that mindset and I think this team does.”