Fordham Women Get Back on the Winning Track

By MATT ROSENFELD

SPORTS EDITOR

The Fordham women’s basketball team picked up another conference win this afternoon, with a victory over UMass. After an easy 75-61 win in Massachusetts earlier in the year, the Rams handled the Minutewomen in similar dominant fashion at the Rose Hill Gym. Senior guard Erin Rooney finished with 22 points, eight rebounds and eight assists to continue what has been an incredible season for the New Zealand native.

The women's basketball team moved to 5-2 in A-10 play after defeated UMass. (Ram Archives)

The women’s basketball team moved to 5-2 in A-10 play after defeated UMass. (Ram Archives)

“It’s a level of confidence,” head coach Stephanie Gaitley said, speaking about Rooney. “She was a little down about her play at the end of the Dayton game and I told her to shake it off and she was great. She said ‘I’m ready, let’s go.’”

Fellow senior guard Abigail Corning finished her night with 18 points and five rebounds, second only to Rooney in scoring.

The game started out much tighter than expected, as neither team could get any traction offensively. But as it has done throughout the season, Fordham’s offense took off and left their opponent in the dust. Fordham led 18-17 with nine minutes remaining in the first half when the Fordham offense took over. The Rams closed the half on a 26-8 run essentially ending any hope UMass had of an upset.

This is Fordham’s fifth conference win and 16th overall victory, upping its record to 16-4 and 5-2 in the Atlantic 10 on the year. The Rams next game comes on Wednesday, Jan. 29 when they host Rhode Island at noon.

Categories: Basketball, Sports

Reply to The Fordham Ram

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 99 other followers

%d bloggers like this: