Fashion Week Trends for College Students

By JUNGSUH KIM
STAFF WRITER

(Photo Courtesy of  Luke Baumgardner)

(Photo Courtesy of Luke Baumgardner)

Designers and models hit the runway once again at New York Fashion Week. The wintry weather did not stop thousands of fashionistas from flocking to the city to catch a glimpse of the newest spring trends.

Fashion Week took place in New York from Feb. 6 to 13 at Lincoln Center. Fashion Week kicked off with lines like Maxazria, Tadashi Shoji, Desigual and the Go Red For Women and the Heart Truth Red Dress Collection.

Many spring trends were borrowed from the past and made new again. One trend that returned from the past was white collars. Fashion houses like Alexander Wang and Balenciaga reinvented the crisp, collared shirt.

Three dimensional effects brought a wilder effect to the garments on display. Prada, Marc Jacobs and Marni showcased tops and bottoms covered with textured sequins and jewels as the focus of their spring runway. Florals seemed to make a comeback this year as well. Unlike past floral trends, this year’s delicate patterns and subtle needlepoint accents kept the trend subdued. Thakoon and Stella McCartney showed their love for flowers with colorful patterns and intricate designs.

Fringe was also hot on the runway. Inspired by hippies, many designers applied it to skirts, ponchos and headdresses. Calvin Klein, Proenza Schouler and Emilio Pucci embraced this trend through flowing shirts and dresses.

(Photo Courtesy of  Luke Baumgardner)

(Photo Courtesy of Luke Baumgardner)

Metallics made a return for the third season in a row, but in a bolder, more extravagant way. This season’s metallics were more high-shine lamé than subdued matte. Designers for this trend included Givenchy, Lanvin and Saint Laurent, all which showcased gold “coin” like tones in their designs. Pastel hues were popular on the runway in preparation for Spring. Pink was the most popular color, and designers utilized it in shades ranging from magenta to icy blush. Miu Miu and Tory Burch drew more on the soft pinks while Oscar de la Renta took on more of a fruity, pinkey orange.

The micro-pleat also made a come-back as part of the always popular preppy style. The pleats gave the skirts a flowing, mature vibe. Dries Van Noten and Givenchy paired this trend with soft colors.

An unconventional trend, known as pop art, came to life this year. Inspired by museum worthy works, designers like Prada and Chanel used bright colors and bold patterns to emphasize the cartoon-like “pop” looks.

“Life is merely a game” exemplifies one of spring’s mantras this year. Sporty looks were red hot as designers took on athletic-inspired clothing. Gucci incorporated mesh details into their line that seemed to emulate the “jersey” look, while Vera Wang took on the classic crop top, exposing the model’s abs.

Although much of the clothing seen during Fashion Week seemed too trendy and unconventional for daily wear, a lot of these designs do seem to be on the market for young adults. Notorious for fast-fashion, H&M and Forever 21 are already creating their lines for new spring clothing. They are incorporating details like soft pastels, sporty wear and fringe details, a clear reference to fashion week trends. For college students, this year’s spring trends seem pretty accessible, as they are not that different from trends they may be able to find already in their closets.

Floral patterns and sporty details are particularly accessible trends for women this season: they work with a variety of styles and body types. Florals come in big and small patterns that can either act as a big statement or an interesting detail. Sporty accents have the added bonus of being very comfortable; finally the hoodie is a trendy accessory.

Pop art and metallic pieces may be more daunting, but true fashionistas can find a way to incorporate these styles as well. H&M and Forever 21 are great options for budget-conscious students to try out a trend without breaking the bank. After gawking at all the over-the-top styles fashion week has to offer, fashion lovers can find their own ways to incorporate these trends.

Categories: Culture

Tags: , ,

Reply to The Fordham Ram

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 93 other followers

%d bloggers like this: